We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Sterling

Virginia Beach...
1 post
Save Topic
Mt. Sterling

Exactly where is Mt. Sterling located and can you go up the steel tower for pictures?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Sterling

It's just south of the Big Creek area on the far northeastern end of the park. Zoom in on the right side of this map (page 2 of the PDF) until you see a red 38; that's the back-country campsite at the foot of the tower.

nps.gov/grsm/…20Map.pdf

There are pictures from the tower in this set.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Edited: 03 September 2010, 16:17
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Sterling

Hi this site will give you directions but im not sure if you can go up the tower for pictures.

www.hikinginthesmokys.com/mountsterling.htm

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Sterling

If that tower is the one I'm thinking of, you most definately can climb up that ladder and photograph the surrounding area. I believe its an old fire lookout tower.

Ray

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Sterling

A few more pics of the tower...

…photobucket.com/albums/o30/johnrpackrat/bax…

…photobucket.com/albums/o30/johnrpackrat/bax…

…photobucket.com/albums/…017_008.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…0254a_022.jpg

In the last one that's me just below the small room on top; so, absolutely yes, you can climb it.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Sterling

Hiker's right, you can climb the tower, but I'm not sure if the forestry appreciates it. You might make it a quick trip, anyway. ;)

6. Re: Mt. Sterling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 06:23