We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

Biloxi, Mississippi
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

We are traveling on Dec 27 - Dec 31 and trying to decide between 2 cabins. One cabin is above Ober Gatlinburg on Ski View Dr and the other is in the Roaring Forks area on Silverbell Heights Ln.

We are in a 2WD Tahoe and from Mississippi, so not used to driving on mtn roads. We would prefer the Ski View Dr cabin for the views but are very leary of Ski Mtn Rd if any snow/ice. Would I be safer staying in the Roaring Forks Area? That road doesn't look as steep, however, I would think they would salt/clear Ski Mtn Rd first since its more heavily traveled.

Help, we need some opinions before making decision.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

If there is bad weather snow/ice Gatlinburg keeps most of the main roads clear.I love the Ski Mountain area and I dont think it's as steep as some of the other roads ive been on in the area.The views up there are great too.The Roaring Fork area is steep in some area's too.Just keep the TDOT number handy for updated road conditions.Have a wonderful trip.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

If the cabin is above Ober, it's around 3000' elevation. You can expect ice in December, possibly some snow. But the road crews do their best to keep the roads clear, and I've never had any real problems.

If it were me, I'd go for the cabin I wanted, as long as it's not a remote cabin on the tip top of a mountain in the dead of winter.

Biloxi, Mississippi
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

Thanks for the replies.

If the road gets a little slippery, is there any place in the area where I could buy tire chains?

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

Yes there are automotive shops that do carry chains.Depending on what cabin rental company you rented thru there are some that will help you out.I know for a fact Timber Tops will.

We will be there for Christmas.I am hoping for some snow.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

Biloxi,

We own a cabin which is near Silverbell Heights Lane. So far, in almost 4 years of owning the cabin, we've only had one guest who couldn't get to the cabin due to snow and that was in January of this year. The City of Gatlinburg is very good about sanding the roads when there is snow. I do think Silverbell Heights Lane is a little steeper than our road, but I think you can access Silverbell through Loop Road which is the one which leads to our cabin. I can't specifically speak for Silverbell Heights Lane, but I know my guests have told me Loop Road is sanded when it snows. When my guest couldn't access our cabin in January, I called the City of Gatlinburg and requested they sand the road and it was sanded within about 2 hours of me calling.

I will say that the roads are shaded and snow doesn't melt quickly. The guests who couldn't access the cabin spent the night in a hotel in Gatlinburg and tried early the next morning (by 9:00 am) to get to the cabin. I think they would have been able to travel the road if they had waited a few more hours for the sun to come up and for the roads to be sanded. Also, their car broke down as they were attempting to get to the cabin, so I'm not sure how much that had to do with them getting up the road.

Hope this helps-

Lisa

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

BiloxiCPA, a lot of people rent cabins without giving much thought to the elevation. I'm glad you're considering this before making a choice. I think Dodgeball gave you some good advice about the Silverbell Heights location--she knows her area :0) I can only say that I am not a fan of Ski Mtn Rd having been up and down it enough in dry and rainy conditions. That's just my opinion being from Michigan near Lake Erie where it's flat as a pancake. To the credit of Chalet Village, they do a great job of staying on top of roads when there's snow.

If you don't mind a little adventure and feel you can handle the drive (after 3-4 times up and down the mountain you'll feel a lot better behind the wheel) then I'd say go for it. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable, do yourself a favor and find something lower on the mountainside. You can still find some great views without being near the top. I've talked to dozens of people over the years who say they will never stay "way up high" again because it was just too stressful or long of a drive for them or it was hard on their vehicle.

Only you know your comfort level. But I would recommend you find out the approximate location and then use the Street View function on Google Maps to "drive" up the mountain from Traffic Light 10 in Gatlinburg--the way you'd get up to the cabin from town. It won't be the same as doing it yourself in person, but at least you'll know what it looks like and what may be involved.

Also I would highly recommend trip insurance. Most people don't buy it but if there's a snow or ice storm, you can get all your money back including taxes. Winter 2010 was one of the most challenging we had ever experienced (I've owned since 2002) and I am strongly recommending to all our winter guests that they purchase trip insurance this year.

Biloxi, Mississippi
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

I believe I have found another cabin that may work for us. It is near the intersection of Heiden Dr. and Stans Rd.

Only about 1 mile above parkway and according to Google Earth, elevation only about 1900 feet. GE does not have the traffic camera option for this area, would this area be less challenging to get to than the 2 mentioned previously?

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

Of course, you never know when there will be snow, but I will mention that snow is less likely at the end of December than later on in January and February. The good thing about a place off Ski Mountain Road is that most of those roads are totally maintained (plowed and sanded) by the city of Gatlinburg and they do a pretty good job. A place near Heiden and Stans Road is definitely maintained by the city. I know because we own a place further up and the roads up to it are also maintained by the city. Ski View Drive is pretty high up, but that's why many of those places have such sweet views. They're pretty panoramic up there. I'm 90% sure that the roads up to Ski View are also maintained by the city. Now, I'll also tell you what I tell my guests. When it's snowing, nobody has any business being on any of the mountain roads in the area. Just stay in the chalet and sit in the hot tub with a good book. That's the best and most beautiful place to be AND it's pretty darn relaxing! More people need to consider adding a little relaxation to their vacations. It's liquid gold!

Cindy

Brookhaven...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

We are at the summit and the road conditions are impassable. we are stuck on top.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatlinburg Cabins and winter road conditions

dr1432 we are here off Ski Mountain and are stuck here too.I bet we got another 6 inches more last night.I hope you are enjoying your stay.Its pretty but sure is alot of snow and our street is a couple of streets off Ski Mountain near Ober and theres no way we can leave.We are in Chevy cars.