We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice from locals/runners

TENNESSEE
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice from locals/runners

We are staying at Jack Huffs motor lodge coming up-I need to get in a run-maybe 5-6 miles is about all I will probably have time for (tng for a 1/2 marathon). Is there a safe spot close there like a park or less congested roads to run? It will be early on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I try and get that run in and SAFETY is my number one concern running by myself in unfamiliar territory. Any advise appreciated! Thanks :)

Edited: 10 September 2010, 00:40
Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

I'm not a local or a runner but wanted to mention there is a running track at Mills Park. That's located off of 321 (East Parkway) near the Arts and Crafts Community, just a few miles from downtown so it wouldn't take long to get to from Jack Huffs. I never used it so don't know anything else about it except it's there.

Here is a link to the parks in Gatlinburg but I think that is the only one with a track.

ci.gatlinburg.tn.us/parksrec/cityparks.htm

Edited: 10 September 2010, 05:00
Mentioned in this post
Mills Park
Mills Park
19 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
TENNESSEE
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

Thank you for the info! I will check it out. I don't want to miss my run~

Georgia
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

Patriot Park in Pigeon Forge has a jogging/running trail. The park is located right beside The Old Mill just off the strip (there are signs for the Mill on the parkway). The track is asphalt and is 1/2 mile long...mostly flat with a small hill by the river.

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

I see people running in Gatlinburg early morning down the streets of Gatlinburg and then around to River Road. There is a running track at Gatlinburg High School and I think there is also one at the Community Center off 321.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

If you want to walk or run on a nice level trail along a creek try the hike behind Sugarland Visitor Center. I think it is called Sugarland Nature Trail and it is about 2 miles there and 2 miles back. It is very beautiful and many people are on this trail walking and running. You can park on River Road near where The Happy Hiker was located...or you can park at Sugarland Visitor Center. The trail starts behind the center. You end up running on the road near the park maintenance dept. and you are on asphalt, but most of the trail is in the woods. The trail can become confusing if you start behind the Sugarland Visitor Center until you understand where it takes you. Might want to start at the River Road trailhead the first time.

If you start at the motor lodge that should also add another 2 miles....so you should get your 6 miles in.

If you are driving on 441 going towards Sugarland Visitor Center, look to your right and you will see people walking on this nature trail.

Good running....you will love this one!!!

Edited: 14 September 2010, 01:51
Mentioned in this post
Happy Hiker
Happy Hiker
5 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
TENNESSEE
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

Thank you for all of your replies!

7. Re: Need advice from locals/runners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:17