We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help traveling through the smokeys

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
10 posts
Save Topic
help traveling through the smokeys

Hi,

Could do with a bit of help.

Coming over to the south from the uk next week for 2 week tour.

Starting in New Orleans and ending in Atlanta.

Kind of know route, but got issues about smokeys.

Driving over from Nashville and was originally looking to go to gatlingburg. Staying a couple of nights and then driving through the park and onto Charleston.

However, people have recommended that I should take in Chattanooga.

So was wondering is it easy to drive from Chattanooga through the park and up to glatinburg.

Also is it worth stopping in glattingburg 1 night and then driving through the park doing some activities and then stopping in Ashville the next night.

Help needed

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

My personal preference is Gatlinburg rather than Chatanooga especially since you are coming to Atlanta. The biggest tourist spot in Chatanooga is the aquarium and Gatlinburg and Atlanta has an aquarium ( i recommend Atlanta's aquarium). The smokies is absoutely breath taking and you should not miss it even if it is just a drive through.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

No contest at all...stay at Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge..drive over the Great Smoky Mountains its BEAUTIFUL !

Liverpool
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

We are in gatlinburg at the moment from Liverpool uk. We started our trip in myrtle beach then on to charleston then savannah in Georgia then up to Greenville and finally gatlinburg. We came to gatlinburg, Nashville and Memphis last year and just had to come back to gatlinburg it amazing!

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

Another vote for Gatlinburg! I'll be there next week and can't wait! When you see how beautiful the Smokies are, you are going to want to stay for more than one night. :)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

Hi tstacey,

Do you plan to skip Nashville and head straight to Gatlinburg from Chattanooga? Or, possibly visit Chattanooga, then Nashville and off to Gatlinburg?

Is anyone in your group interested in U.S. history or guns from the mid 1800's?

Bob

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

i live near New orleans and on our trips up to Gatlinburg we usually leave early and make a stop at one attraction on our way. That way it breaks up the long 12 hr drive.

7. Re: help traveling through the smokeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 05:15