We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

I finally decided on a place and made reservations. Glad to have that behind me. It takes me forever to decide on a place. I wish I could be more spontaneous. My husband didn't want to deal with the crowds in October so we decided on a few days Nov. 14-16. I'm a little worried about the weather because I'm not a cold weather person but i figured as long as we're going during colder weather we might as well enjoy the Christmas lights. I've never been that time of year. I'm so excited. We've been married 21 years and only made a few trips by ourselves and none in 10 years. Woo hoo!!

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

I know you probably want to go out to eat most of the time, but we like to plan on having a little picnic sometime when we are in the area, depending on the weather, if it is nice, pull up by the rushing river and sit outside on a rock or sometimes we just pull over along the Cades Cove drive and sit in the car.

Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

The picnic sounds nice too. I wish we had more time there, but I'm grateful for a few days.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

So excited for you, we take an annual trip (without kids) every year on Valentine's day. It's awesome to walk around and do what "you" want to do. I always miss them so much but it's good for us.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

Enjoy every minute you have! My husband and I give 51 weeks a year to kids & work...week 52 belongs to us and us alone. Every year we take a trip for our anniversary. Our 4th anniversary coming up in a couple of weeks...3rd anniversary spent in Gatlinburg. I don't think there is a more peaceful, more romantic place on earth! We do miss the kids, but it is soooo nice for he and I to be able to reconnect!

Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

I agree. I think this will be a new tradition. We've been married 21 years and never do much for our anniversary. Sometimes, you just get caught up in everyday things. I'm looking so forward to getting away though.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

I'll tell you what we always enjoy doing while driving in the park. Before leaving the motel or cabin we pack a small cooler with a couple sandwiches or some summer sausage, along with some hot sauce and cheese, and a thermos of coffee. Once you enter the park, you'll notice several larger pull-offs on Newfound Gap Rd. We love to park our vehicle, where there's running water and sit on that stone wall and eat some food or enjoy a hot coffee. That little food break and the sounds of the rfiver sure relaxes me.

Ray

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

I agree Ray..we enjoy an early morning drive through Roaring Fork motor trail, hot cup of coffee, windows down, and pull off the trail, sit on log, drink our coffe and every now and then, if you're lucky and the timing is right, have a few wild turkeys or Mama and baby deer wander past. It is soooo relaxing and soooo wonderful to see the world the way that God intended it to be. We can get so wrapped up in things at home, it truly is a blessing to be able to enjoy the beauty of nature in IT'S world, not one that was created in the middle of a big city surrounded by gates and fences!

KY
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

That is very exciting! We will be there that week as well without our kiddos! Congrats on 21 years of marriage, we will be celebrating our 7th while on our trip. As far as the weather goes that gonna be a little more tricky to predict. This will be our third year traveling this exact week and we have had polar opposites. The first year it was so cold I had to go and buy a heavy winter coat, since I hadn't packed one. It snowed at night while we sat in the hot tub, which was a VERY cool experience. Last year though the temp. was in the 70's the whole week. Hope you have a great time, I know we are planning to!!

Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

Thanks everybody. I guess I better pack a heavy coat just in case. The picnics sound so nice too.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip in 10 years without the kids...so excited

It's hard to remember when it was just me and my wife. We only made a couple trips to the mountians before we started our family. I sometimes think it'd be nice to get away, just the two of us, but I don't want to miss any time with the kids while they're still little.

I hope you have a great time!