We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Day 3

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Day 3

This was another busy day. We were up early and over the mountain again to ride the Great Smoky Mountain Railway. We, personally, found this to be a waste of time and money. I would have rather spent the time on a hike. It was a 4 hour ride with limited views. The train was pretty crowded. We rode in the coach section with no designated seating. When we got off the train for a break, someone took it on themselves to move people's stuff to the other seats. It caused a lot of confusion and tense moments for everyone. Before we got rolling again, someone had a medical emergency and we had to wait about an hour for EMS and an ambulance to transport the person to the hospital. Praying that everything turned out OK for them. Sad that someone started out to have a good day, only to end up in the hospital.

The drive back to GB was pleasant and we had time to drive through Roaring Fork on its opening day! We saw 2 black bear just before we got started on the loop. The drive was so much smoother and the streams were flowing & bubbling nicely. I was pretty well done by the time we got back to the hotel from all the riding and the stress of the train ride. I didn't feel like going anywhere nice for our anniversary supper, so we went down the street to Shoney's. I was ready to call it a night after that, but DH wanted to play Hillbilly Golf again. We did celebrate by going to PF for ice cream at Baskins Robbins. That was the end of our short weekend trip. We were up early Sunday and on our way back to KY, feeling lucky to have been to the mountains 3 times this year.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Thanks again, Lynn. Sorry you didn't enjoy the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. We rode it a couple years ago during Christmas with the kids for the Polar Express excursion and really liked it!

Thanks again for the reports!

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Thanks for the trip reports! Sorry to hear about the train ride but sounds like ya'll recovered the day in roaring fork! You are blessed to have gone to the Smokies 3 times this year! We have only been once so far this and it doesn't seem like we will make anymore. We usually get to go 2-3 but it didn't work out this year! We will make plans though in 2011! Thanks again!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Day 3

BradMac, I can see where the theme rides like the Polar Express, Thomas the Train, etc. would interest parents & kids. I would have loved to take my grandsons on one of those excursions, but unfortunately, they are too old for that now. :(

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Day 3

I'm sad to hear all the negative reviews about the railroad. We've looked at taking our two-year old to see the Thomas event but with the high price we don't want to risk driving over there and wasting our money. There are a lot of bad reviews for various things and it seems to me like assigning seats, especially with the cost of one ticket, would be a good thing for them to do.

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Thanks, Lynn60 for your reports. I too, did not care for the train. As you say, the view were limited. Mostly trees and trees. I hope the passenger is okay. I have enjoyed the town of Bryson City where we boarded.

We are looking forward to the drive through Roaring Fork and hope to see bears. We have seen some there before and will be glad it is a smooth ride.

As they say, " If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough." Three times is terrific!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Brittney, I'm sure the Thomas the Train would be a great experience. Just keep watching the reviews for that event. My grandsons loved Thomas.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Just to add another two cents, my husband and I enjoyed the train ride. I was expecting long range mountain views, of which there are none, but we had good views of the river and folks rafting on it. At the half way point, everyone was asked to move to a seat on the opposite side of the train, so that everyone saw both views on the trip. Our conductor came on the speaker every so often with info on things to look for. I did think the cost was high, but it was something we have never done, and we are glad we went.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Itsjustme, the conductor did ask everyone to change sides at the break. Some may have been in the dining car getting their lunch and didn't hear. We saw that others changed sides and left their things on the seat when they got off for break. Their belongings were moved to a completely different seat. That's where the tension & confusion came in. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. A lot $$ not to. :)

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Day 3

Lynn60 you are having way too much fun on your vacation!!!

It is nice to see people having fun and not complain about there whole trip.Thanks for the updates and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - Day 3

We had a great time with a few bumps in the road. We probably overdid things, but wanted to get in as much in 3 days as possible. Being in the mountains always has a calming effect on us.