We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for bigorange

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
Question for bigorange

I am just terrible at remembering anything correctly. Are you the one that just moved to Asheville? If so, how are you liking it so far? I have seen several snow days posted for the Asheville area on our news while our children happily (NOT!) go to school with no snow on the ground at all! Ha! It has been a very mild winter so far this year, so if you are new to the area, you may have to wait until next year to see how snowy it usually gets in Asheville...

Kathy

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for bigorange

Hi Kathy!!! Yes, we just moved here from Louisiana. We got here on the 22nd of Dec. I really like it!! We have had a little dusting twice but nothing big yet. We are finally settled in an apt for now and will start looking for a house soon. (waiting on insurance money still!!!)

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for bigorange

I'm glad to know my memory can still function accurately - at least on occasion! And I am very glad to hear you are happy with Asheville. Since I-26 was finally finished a couple of years ago, connecting NC and TN, we are only about an hour or so from there. We rarely drive over that way, though. We aren't used to having Asheville so handy! I want to stay in one of the B&B's there one of these days. There are some really nice ones in the Montford Historic District. But I guess that is for the Asheville forum!

Anyway, I am glad you are settled in. Hope you find a permanent place soon! Let us know how it goes!

Kathy

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for bigorange

Thanks for thinking of us!!!!! I will keep yall posted.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for bigorange

This is for Bigorange:

We live in Louisians, in the Katrina area.

Fortunately we were spared any damage from wind or flood.

We visited the Asheville area in May 05.

From what I can determine, the weather there is more severe than west of the Appalachians.

Do you find this to be the case?

We are looking around at relocating to the area either SE TN or NE TN.

If you could share info, we would appreciate.

Thanks

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for bigorange

Mrkeen,

I live in NE Tennessee and I can tell you that Asheville and SW Virginia get the most winter weather. Even SE Tennessee gets more bad weather than we do. We are in a sort of bowl and that protects us from most of the winter weather. Even the rain that comes in from the west usually breaks up before it reaches us and so we rarely get severe rain.

So if you are looking for a beautiful place to live without compromising too much on the weather, try looking into NE Tennessee. We have a number of katrina victoms that ended up here and decided to stay!

Kathy

BTW... By NE Tennessee, I am talking about the Johnson City area.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for bigorange

Thank you Kathy:

We will be visiting the SE TN area in the first week of March as reported.

We will however also visit your area in the NE.

Interestingly enough, we have a church acquaintance who is from Bristol TN/VA.

He has a daughter living in Alcoa and we speek with him on a regular basis about his area (roots).

He says that he really misses the mountains.

I can understand that because where I am from it is FLAT! If you have ever been to New Orleans, you know what I mean by FLAT.

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for bigorange

mrkeen,

We lived in Florida on two separate occasions for a total of 5 1/2 years. I know flat! That's why I love it here so much!!

Bristol is about 45 minutes from where I live outside of Johnson City. Kingsport and Elizabethton are about half an hour away. Kingsport gets a lot of that bad weather I was talking about when weather from the west passes through on its way to SW Virginia. Elizabethon gets a lot more snow than we do since it is higher in the mountains toward the very tip of NE Tennessee. That's why I say that the Johnson City area is a good place to look if you are trying to avoid as much weather as possible in the NE area of Tennessee. Also, Johnson City is a small city. This area is very regional. Many homes are in the county areas, outside the city limits. If you want big city conveniences, you must travel to Knoxville, about 1 1/2 hours away, or Asheville, which is a little closer. Gatlinburg is about an hour and 45 minutes away if you know the best route to travel to avoid traffic.

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for bigorange

Mrkeen,

Where are you from? We really like Asheville so far. It hasnt been too bad with the weather yet but I hear it can get bad. I like the cold though so Im in heaven!!!!! Im tired of the south LA heat!!! We originally wanted to move to Knoxville a few years ago but it didnt work out. After loosing everything we decided if we had to start over it might as well be where we want to be!!! My husband tried to get a transfer to Knox but he couldnt but they offered him Asheville. So, Im in the wonderful mountains and only about an hour and a half away from my fav places in East TN. I would recommend Asheville or Knoxville. The only thing is the real estate is alot higher in Asheville. We are shocked!!!! Good Luck!!!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for bigorange

bigorange: We live in Metairie, LA. I have lived here a long time, moved here in '56. We were very fortunate with not having any damage from water and only a little wind to siding. I am a handyman so I did the fixing.

We visited Asheville in May 05. The weather did not cooperate, it rained most of the time. We managed to get around and visited Biltmore Estates etc.

The traffic then was a little like here in Metairie. Except that since the storm moved families west, the situation has worsened immensely.

I have a friend in BR, and he tells me that what once was a five min. trip is now an hour. What a mess.

Our son lived in Lakeview, he lost his entire household. He is not living with us.

We understand you lost your home and contents, I cannot imagine that. While we were in Houston, during and after the storm, we heard that our neighborhood had received 2 ft of water. I had it all planned out as to how I would do the fixing. Luckily, I did not have to do any, we were spared.

On the other hand, my sons home was under 13 ft of water. The pictures are indescribable. Almost like a spielburg film.

We have an acquaintance whose parents live in Asheville. They recently sold their home here and moved there permanently.

Again, sorry about your losses, I cannot imagine how you must feel.

Good luck in all of your endeavors.

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for bigorange

Thanks! I am sorry about your son. He is in worse shape than me. We got 6 feet of water. I hope you find a nice place around here. It really is a great place. We visited the mountains twice a year before so we knew we wanted to be here. Yall will really love it!!! Good luck!!!!