We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best dinner and show experience with kids?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
best dinner and show experience with kids?

Taking 8 year old boy week before Christmas. Want to experience dinner show. Nothing religious. There are several - it is so hard to choose !

Which is the best? Thanks for any guidance!

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

Dixie Stampede, but there is a part of it, that is religious, but I don't know if any of the shows will be totally religious free during the Christmas season. During Dixie Stampede show, they show the wise men riding in on camels to see the baby Jesus, there are all kinds of animals involved.

Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

Thanks. Are the seats all pretty good or is it worth paying extra for preferred seats? How long would it take to get there from gatlinburg?

thanks!

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

sr5242, To me, the best show is the Dixie Stampede. Since you are taking an 8 year old, I think the preferred seating is worth your while.

Dixie Stampede does change their show to a Christmas program starting in November. The Christmas show is religious in nature with a nativity scene. This part of the show is towards the end. Most of the shows during the time you will be visiting will have religious tones.

Enjoy your visit!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
753 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

I agree that Dixie Stampede is the best. We have also enjoyed the Black Bear Jamboree and Hoot N Holler Christmas shows. As sr5242 noted, most of the shows during this time will have religious tones since it is the Christmas season.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

If you might consider a separate dinner and show then you should go to The Comedy Barn Show...very family friendly and funny! There are many great places to go to dinner at if that is the way you choose to go.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

I agree with the comedy barn it is a great show and one of the reasons we like it is there is no dinner. There are too many places we would like to eat at instead. I don't recall any religious doings but we didn't go at Christmas either. It is kind of corny but it's so funny it doesn't matter. You can see some clips on youtube.

Rockport, Indiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

We love Comedy Barn - good entertainment for the whole family. But we were considering trying Dixie Stampede when we are there next week; after reading the positive comments here, I am quite sure we will! I too would like to know if it is worth the extra for preferred seating?

kentucky
Level Contributor
448 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

At Dixie, I always pay extra for preferred seating if i can get on the front row. If front row is not available, then may not be worth it. I had 4 and 7 year old last time we went, and have paid to be on front row all 3 times. I want to guarantee my little one will be good and pay attention. The tickets are already on the expensive side, so I figure what is another few dollars for front row.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

Ditto for us too, my son was 5 and we had a front row seat and it was worth it to him. I was afraid he may not be able to see around the others in front of us or we would be really high up. We did get some saw dust kicked into our laps when the horses were running that certinly didn't bother us.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best dinner and show experience with kids?

Yeah, it'll be difficult to avoid religion during Christmas.

The Dixie Stampede is the best, in my opinion, too. We've never paid for preferred seating, however, and have always enjoyed the show.