We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

By All means KEEP AWAY from WESTGATE. After returning to home from a tour in Iraq, my wife and I bought into this nightmare. It is a money pit and a scam. We used it once had alot of problems... mainly what they sold us and what we actually get is two different things.

We tried to use it again and if you didnt book a year ago in advance they are "sold out"- but they can make room for those who are nto owners in order to trap new owners..SCAM.

We are staying in a Cabin right now- instead of Westgate. For what we paid for a room at Westgate we can stay in a whole cabin.. no joke I am literally writing this in a cabin on the side of a mountain. By the way.. you have to pay extra for WiFi at Westgate..at the cabin it is free. Westgate Nickels and Dimes for Everything. If you want a Horrible Vacation go to Westgate.. if you want to enjoy yourself- get a cabin.

I have a "Westgate is a sham " site on Facebook. If anyone else has a similar situation join us.. i am hoping to get in a class action lawsuit against Westgate.

Day Tour: Moonshine and Wine Tasting...
27 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Free Cancellation
Sights of the Smokies All Day Tour
14 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Free Cancellation
Cade's Cove Bus Tour
2 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Free Cancellation
Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

I thought everyone knew by now that Westgate (and timeshares in general) is a money dump. My husband and his ex bought a timeshare with them in Orlando probably 12+ years ago and unfortunately, he got it in the divorce (although she was the one who cried like a baby to have it). We finally got it paid off a few years ago and now we pay maintenance fees every other year....for something that we don't even use. We've been looking to get rid of it and think that we have FINALLY found someone to take it. It's literally NEVER been used. We've never even seen the place, in person or otherwise.

On another note, thank you for your service in Iraq. My husband was in the Air Force and was in Iraq for four months.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

My mom finally got someone to buy her timeshare a few years ago. The sales pitches are super, but the return on the investment stinks.

And, as allers pointed out, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Dale...Thank you so much for your service!!! Can't tell you enough how much we appreciate you all for fighting for our country. Sorry to hear about your awful experiences with Westgate. I remember when they first built the property in Gatlinburg. I sat in on the 'sales pitch' and knew then that I would not get a time share EVER. The way they tried to FORCE it on us, and the way they kept coming down in price when we said no, was enough for me to walk away. Although visually pretty, Westgate resort in town has had some really negative feedback.

Allers...so sorry to hear your hubby got the timeshare in the divorce. Talk about unfair! :-( Hopefully your buyer doesn't see this and back out on the sale. :-) Too bad you couldn't even enjoy it for the time you had it. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
va
Level Contributor
624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Timeshares have been and will always be a scam to get people trapped in a no return money hole. Please please stay away from them. You can buy them for 1 $ on ebay. How could they be with a cost like that?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

I thought by now EVERYBODY knew about timeshares being a royal rip off. Just rent and be happy and it is MUCH cheaper. This guy at work is in the middle of being trapped in one of these deals in G-Burg. The last time he went it was 4000 "points" which really equates to $4000! What a rip! Like they say"there's a sucker born every minute"!

Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Timeshares are a bogus investment. What would Dave Ramsey say about these things?

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Here's Dave Ramsey's input on timeshares.Very Interesting

daveramsey.com/article/…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

If anyone wants my Westgate Timeshare- I will GIVE it to you FREE.. you pay transfer fees and this puppy is alllllll yours.

I doubt I will get any responses. I am thinking of going back to G-Burg with large signs and stand in the middle of the highways (next to the bridge) and warn people being brought into the brainwashing seminars to "Don't Buy!".

Anyone wanna join me??????? LOL

Beckley, West...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Hi everyone. I dumb enough to buy time share 3 yrs ago. I was told that all the people that was there that day were owners. Boy was that a lie. I wonder how many times they can sell one room. Only 52 weeks in a year. Maybe they should be paying us when the room is rented to non owners. I would like to be part of law suit against them.

Bill Lambert

bill25802@yahoo.com

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westgate is a scam, a time share trap!!!!

Well, my husband and I just left the Westgate resort in G-burg. We sat thru a 90 minute plus spill about why there time shares are "different". Honestly, we only went to get some free stuff like water park access and meal tickets. We did however put a lot of attention to the sales person's pitch. By the way, are any of you "VIP" members? Wow, the perks and discounts are unbelievable! My husband and I knew it sounded like a bunch of malarkey before we left! We asked the "other" sales person to go ahead and give us his best shot, which turned out to be NO shot. We said no and he came back with another best shot! Like the first guy (vet) said, we are staying in a cabin with a magnificent view of Mt Laconte typing this. I guess we held out long enough to recieve a "so called" 1 week stay at any westgate resort at a significantly discounted rate. WOW, he only has 2 per week he can give---RIGHT!!. Any VIPers want to chime in with a little input? Well, we used our free passes to the water park (kids loved it), now it's the Comedy barn tonight!!! Probably the only good thing we'll get!! LOL