We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations for activities for young children?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
143 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendations for activities for young children?

We will be spending Thanksgiving week in a cabin in Pigeon Forge. We will have our three grandchildren, ages 3, 5, and 7, with us. Can anyone recommend some fun things to do in either PF or Gatlinburg for children that age? We have done Dixie Stampede before and also Cirque de Chine. Enjoyed them both, but once was enough. There's just so much to choose from, it's overwhelming. We would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with us. Thanks!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

I no longer have kids that small, but can definitely tell you that Comedy Barn would be a must see show, if you haven't seen it yet. Also, if Ober has produced some man made snow, then I would also suggest going up there and tubing, and ice skating at the indoor rink would be fun for them as well.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

If your going in November there isnt no tubing companies open only during the summer months but there is snow tubing up at Ober Gatlinburg if there is snow and they will try to start making it around Thanksgiving if it is cold enough.We have 2 kids and they like to go into the park and they also like to play Putt Putt Golf and ride the Go Karts and Pigeon Forge has alot to choose from.There are also alot of shopping in the area.Dollywood is always a great choice also Ripley's Aquarium is very nice aswell.I would also spend a day in the national park.Go up to Cades Cove or on a picnic at The Chimney's.You can also go to one of the nay shows in the area.Im sure you will find there is plenty of things to do in the area for all ages.Ebjoy your trip and have fun.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/

www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/attractions/

Edited: 17 November 2010, 23:42
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

There is so much for young kids to do here, my kids 3 & 9 love it. They get to spend some time doing putt-putt, go-carts and arcades. They also love the ride through cades cove looking at all the deer. We have seen the comedy barn and it is great. The shows will be doing their Christmas shows so even if you have seen the it at other times it will be different. We are looking at doing one of the magic shows (not sure which one yet). We would do the Dixie Stampede again but we really don't want to do a dinner show. The aquarium is worth the $$. I don't think you will have a hard time finding something for them to do.

Okeechobee, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

There are quite a few arcades around. Anyone can enjoy putt-putt golf. Ripleys aquarium and museum would blow thier minds (I know it did mine). The best I believe would have to be Comedy Barn.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

HI,

I would recommend a visit to Ober Gatlinburg. It is nothing BIG, but might be perfect for the young ones. They have an ice skating rink there, a small arcade, small indoor mini-golf, and the wildlife encounter. The wildlife encounter was very nice. It includes bear, otters, skunks, raccoons, squirrles, opposum, turtles, fish & etc. It is kind of like a really tiny zoo on top of the mountain.

I would also recommend a stop at the Sugarlands Visitor Center. They have a FREE wildlife museum on location. It is educational and interesting. It is one of the things I remember most about my 1st visit to the Smokies as a child.

Also the Ripleys Aquarium might be something they would enjoy. They added penguins this past year. In Sevierville (Kodak), you might want to take them to Bass Pro Shops. They have an indoor scene set up to look like the outdoors with waterfall, river, stuffed animals and a large aquarium with fish in it. It is FREE being inside the store. I posted some photos with my review IF you want to check it out. Also the Smoky Mountain KnifeWorks has the same kind of thing with a waterfall, river, stuffede animals and some large singing characters downstairs (bear & raccoon). The little ones will probably get a kick out of them. I would recommend a stop at the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge to feed the ducks along the river..you can get a bag of feed at the general store for a dollar or two.

Hope this helps!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
143 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

Thank you all for such HELPFUL suggestions. I feel so much better equipped to face the week with the little ones now. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help us. Daisy, your photographs are awesome! Was that Chief Saunooke Bear Park in Gatlinburg?

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

The Chief Saunooke Bear Park is in Cherokee,NC which is also a nice little town to explore from Gtlinburg you take 441 over the mountains about 30 miles to get to Cherokee.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
1,119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

HI,

Cherokeegurl is right Chief Saunooke Bear Park is in Cherokee. It took us about an hour to drive there from Gatlinburg. It is nice, but all outdoors & kind of smelly. However, they did have a larger selection of bears compared to Ober Gatllinburg & Three Bears General Store. Also in Cherokee is the Mountain Farm Museum & Mingus Mill. They are both worthwhile stops IF you decide to go over to Cherokee, NC. The kids will probably enjoy the FREE Mountain Farm Museum. Mingo Falls is an easy waterfall trail in Cherokee & the falls is one of the tallest in the area. Also in Cherokee is the Saunooke Village (arcade, mini-golf, gem mining, etc). You can also ride a mechanical bull there & have your photo taken with an Indian Chief. I have seen many kids ride the bull & it is really cute. Also, there is a nice swinging bridge adjacent to the Saunooke Mill and Village.

Hope this helps some more.

Georgia
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

If the weather is nice the small amusement park at red light # 3 in Pigeon Forge is a lot of fun. Also, Nascar in Sevierville has amusement park rides.

It might sound cheesy, but my 3 yr. old granddaughter loved the bears at 3 bears gift shop in Pigeon Forge.

Have fun!

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any recommendations for activities for young children?

NanaPatty, There is a website called "Discover The Smokies" and they have almost all of the attractions listed that are in the Pigeon Forge,Gatlinburg area and beyond.You can click on the ones you like and it will give you info on them and where they are located etc. some even have coupons you can print off.They also have all the restaurants listed too so you can take a peek and see what you like.There website has alot of wonderful information about the area too.Hope you and your family have a great time in the area.Click on the link and it will take you too the attractions page and also if you look at the top it has all the other info on the area.

http://discoverattractionsinthesmokies.com/