We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

St Petersburg,Fl
8 posts
Save Topic
Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

Are dogs allowed (leashed of course) on the Spruce Flat Falls Trail or in the Tremont area of the park??

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

Dogs are only allowed on a couple of paths in the park and must be on a leash at all times.

www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Edited: 27 November 2010, 03:19
St Petersburg,Fl
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

what about the path to the waterfall,somewhere on the path that good pics can be obtained??

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

What waterfall are you talking about?There are many of them in the park.As far as I know dogs are only allowed in those 2 spots but of course some people dont abide by the rules and I have seen them on quiet walkways and around Cades Cove loop.I guess the Bears can sniff dogs out and it would not be a good ideal to have them on any path or trail.I have seen pictures and videos of people taking there dog to Laurel Falls before and other areas but if the park rangers catch them they can be fined big time.I would maybe call the GSMNP and ask them about other area's.There are local City Parks in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge where you can walk dogs but of course on a leash.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,315 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,155 Reviews
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

Here's a website I came across that offers dogs on trails.It shows that dogs are allowed on Chimney Tops Trail but I dont know if that is correct or not.There is also reviews if you click on the trail for more info.

www.localhikes.com/GetHikes.asp…

Edited: 28 November 2010, 03:58
Mentioned in this post
Chimney Tops
Chimney Tops
378 Reviews
Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

Unless noted, dogs are not permitted on any backcountry trails. Dogs and Bears do not get along well in the backcountry and often the dog looses. I see people bringing dogs in the backcountry all the time. While often nobody gets hurt, the rule is there in large part because of the conflict issue with bears. I dont know what the fine is for bringing a dog on a trail ,but i wonder if it is cheaper to find a house sitter and leave the dog at home or in your cabin, motel, etc...

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

From the link you provided:

Dogs must be on a leash or otherwise confined at all times while in the park.

Dogs must be on a leash at all times while in the park.

Dogs are allowed in campgrounds, picnic areas, and along roads, but must be kept on a leash at all times. The leash must not exceed 6 feet in length. Dogs are only allowed on two short walking paths—the Gatlinburg Trail and the Oconaluftee River Trail.

So indeed, you cannot bring your dog to the Chimney Tops Trail.

"What waterfall are you talking about?"

Spruce Flats Falls, as stated in post #1.

The Spruce Flats Falls trail is maintained by the Tremont Institute, not the GSMNP, so the falls themselves are not shown on the trail map provided at the GSMNP website.

It's not a difficult hike. Stop at the institute and they will give you a small map that shows the correct path. As I recall, there is a nice vista along the way, though nothing dramatic. Much better hikes out there if sweeping mountain vistas are what you are seeking.

There's also a little shop at the Institute that has many of the same items found in the visitors centers, though the selection is not nearly as large.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg Trail
Gatlinburg Trail
447 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Chimney Tops
Chimney Tops
378 Reviews
Spruce Flats Falls
Spruce Flats Falls
97 Reviews
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

We saw several dogs with their owners on the walk to Clingman's Dome on Thanksgiving. I didn't think dogs were allowed either, and was surprised to see them. This past May we also a guy hiking with a dog on Alum Cave Trail. The dog even had a backpack. I guess people think they can do whatever they want until they get caught.

Mentioned in this post
Alum Cave Trail
Alum Cave Trail
308 Reviews
Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

Trail. The dog even had a backpack. I guess people think they can do whatever they want until they get caught...... or until they get attacked or killed by ursus americanus....

9. Re: Are Dogs Allowed ?? Spruce Flat Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 06:58