We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

Hello fellow people in Gatlinburg,

We were driving up from Atlanta today (25th Dec) but had to halt our journey at Waynesville NC tonight because of the bad weather.

But we intend to continue our journey to Gatlinburg on 26th Dec morning even though it's still supposed to snow. So, can someone please tell me if it is possible to drive from Waynesville NC to Gatlinburg TN via the Googlemap #1 route shown on the link below? Or is the Foothills Parkway/East Parkway road off Exit 443 is close?

If Googlemap #1 route is not possible because of closure, can we reach Gatlinburg via #3 route? Are the roads plowed sufficiently at 441S and Gatlinburg and its vicinity at this stage? We are traveling in a Honda Civic sedan hence a little worried.

Thank you, please let me know soon!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=waynesville,+nc&daddr=gatlinburg,+tn&hl=en&geocode=FcqDHQIdNLEN-ymNgPfoEHFZiDHq6__rcyH6kw%3BFdP0IAIdbLwF-ymJpQjL6lNZiDGoebd-rtexSg&mra=ls&sll=35.6636,-83.213175&sspn=0.492033,1.229095&ie=UTF8&ll=35.73871,-83.228302&spn=0.491572,1.229095&z=10

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

I can't get that address to pull up but the other way i know is Hwy 276 to I-40 then Hwy 321 right into Gburg. The interstate should be passable. I have checked the webcams and it looks like traffic is passing especially in Pigeon Forge there is alot of traffic right now.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

The following is taken from the NPS website. You may give the numbers they have listed to find out what your looking for. Hopefully it will help

-------------------

Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast. You can also call 511 in either North Carolina or Tennessee to access the Department of Transportation Information Line for updates on US-441. This webpage is updated 2-3 times a week. For the most current report, please call the numbers listed above.

Edited: 26 December 2010, 16:28
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

We are in Gatlinburg right now up off Ski Mountain Rd and we are stuck.We got another 6 inches of snow last night and we got out yesterday but almost went in a ditch off the mountain on the way up to the cabin and today there is noway we are going to be able to go nowhere the snow is very deep and the street to our cabin is very steep and narrow road.I dont know if we will be able to leave in the morning either.I dont know what the area around other parts are but I jnow alot of the street in the park and around are closed.

Cape Girardeau...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

We are in Gatlinburg off of Campbell Lead Rd and we are snowed in. Also Gatlinburg Bypass is closed.

Tyler, AL
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

Does anyone know if the main road coming in from the interstate through Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg is bad? I am bringing kids up tomorrow from Chattanooga and wondered if I just need to stay home. We are staying in a hotel downtown. Any suggestions from anyone?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

They are okay but getting very slick. We just got back to the hotel and some spots appeared to have been just salted. If you have 4 wheel drive you should be fine but saw some 2 wheel drive vehicles fish tail but only one accident. If you drive slow an carefully I think you would be fine.

7. Re: Urgent help on road closure: coming from South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2011, 05:22