We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break dates in the area?

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break dates in the area?

I'm in the process of doing cabin searches for a spring trip and the week we had considered coming is the week of Easter. (my it is very late this year). Anyways, I am wondering that since Easter isn't until April 24th this year, will that still be the week for most schools Spring Break? We were really wanting that week due to wanting to be in town for the Easter Arts & Crafts show and the following weekend for the Ribs & Wing fest, but DO NOT want to handle the large kiddie crowds. No offense against kids, but since mine is now grown, I prefer to have a more relaxed/grown-up environment for vacation.

Some of the schools up here are giving an earlier week long spring break, but then giving a 4 day weekend for Easter. Just wondering what the schools in the area are doing?

Thanks for all your replies!

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

If this helps you Sevier Schools Spring Break is from April 25-29 this year.We went to Ribs and Wingfest last year(April 2010) and it was very crowded and you had to wait in very long lines just to get a wing/rib and they did not have that many vendors as they had in the years past.I dont know if I want to do that again.For the price of a wrist band I dont think we got our monies worth at all.The lines were just to long,too many people,and not enough venders/food.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 21:21
Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

I think we may attempt arriving the weekend of the Rod Run (April 14th) and staying in a hotel in town for the weekend, then getting a cabin for 3-4 days. I really want to be in town to go to the Easter Arts & Crafts show which opens on the 20th. If we leave on the 21st, we will be leaving as everyone is arriving for Spring break.

If not that week, then we will arrive the last weekend of the month (ends of spring break week) and staying until about May 5th. I'm awaiting confirmation from the girls to see how many are coming and their choice of dates (which I have narrowed down), and then we'll get booked hopefully sometime this month. I just want to make sure that if we come the week before Easter of the last weekend of the month, that town won't be swarming with kids.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Sounds like you have a good plan so far.There is alot of events in April this year.Hubby saw that Trout Tournament April 2-3 but his son's 17th Birthday is April 3rd and my daughters 17th Birthday is March 30th...go figure!! So I dont think we will come then.I dont want to come when it is cold though.Im still up in the air on dates too.Hubbys parents bought this vacation thing at Bass Pro Shop for Branson and thinking about it for late Spring or early Summer.I guess Rod Run must be in Pigeon Forge events.We were in town the last day of it and it was busy busy then.Good Luck with your planning.

www.eventsgatlinburg.com/search.aspx?spring=1

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Whew....glad I didn't choose that week of the Rod Run for my vacation. I can't understand why people like those things (no hate mail please...just my personal opinion) and it would be much too crowded. That's definitely something I don't want to see while I'm visiting the beautiful Smokies!! I'm like Deputy though and didn't want to be there during any spring breaks. So far the 1st week in May looks promising for me....can't wait! Now just to pick out a cabin!

ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Taking my boys for spring Break on March 26-29. If that is any help. Just trying to decide if we want to stay in Gatlinburg at fairfield Inn and suites North gatlinburg or Red Roof Inn in pigeon forge. It is about $63 more for Gatlinburg.

Edited: 08 January 2011, 01:41
Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Christophersmommy...Depending on the age of the boys, would determine where I would choose to stay. If the boys are somewhat older, they may like Gatlinburg better as it has lots to do for the middle school and up age group.

If much younger, than I would choose Pigeon Forge, as you will need to drive to things there anyways, no matter what the age groups.

If you are doing more things like Dollywood and visiting the shows and the National Park, then staying in PF would be fine, and you can just pay to park in G-burg one day to see that part of the area.

Cookie...I would not normally choose Rod Run weekend, but the girls I am supposed to go with, like to have adult things to do at the end of the day (meaning the bar scene) and they prefer to do that when there are crowds in town. As for me, I am OK either way, but would prefer to not deal with the huge crowds that Rod Run brings in. So if we do go that weekend we will stay in Gatlinburg and do things in that generla direction, and will most likely go into PF for a day to see the cars. Once again, not my cup of tea, but when travleing with others, we try to do things 50/50 so that everyone is happy. Plus if we stay in Gatlinburg on the weekend, and they choose to stay out late, I can always walk back to the hotel and call it a day for myself while they stay out. Harder to do that when staying in a cabin. The cabin rental will be simply for relaxation and spending time in the PF area shopping and such, so that weekend will actually work out pretty well for all included. We'll see, no set dates as of yet. I would love to actually just stay in a cabin for a week and relax, but figured splitting the week in 1/2 would be the best for everyone.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

The school district in our area has spring break the end of March.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Sunshine...That is what I am hoping for. That most of the schools still keep to an earlier Spring (week long) Break, and that the Easter Break is just a 3 or 4 day weekend. Hopefully more people will keep responding as it will help to make our decision on the best weekend to start our trip

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

deputy the Spring Break for the Memphis and Shelby County Schools are March.14-18.Then they will only be out for Good Friday and back to school that Monday after Easter.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring break dates in the area?

Deputy, lots of schools in Tennessee have TCAP testing or ACT testing in April so I think they don't want breaks right before those tests so they can do reviews.