We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portraits in pencil?

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Portraits in pencil?

Hello everyone! Been lurking on here for a long time but have not felt compelled to post until now. I can usually find my answers just by reading but this time I am stumped! I am planning a trip for this summer and I hope to get some great pics of my grandchild while I am there. I would like to take the best one to an artist who could then draw it in pencil/charcoal. Does anyone know of someone in the area who could do this? Thanks!

Penny

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portraits in pencil?

There is a place in the Mountain Mall in Gatlinburg that does this but I dont know if they are still in business.Heres some info on them and the address and #.Hope this helps.

thegreatsmokeymountainsparkway.com/_shoppi/g…

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portraits in pencil?

I am looking for an artist not a cartoonist, something I can frame and be proud of for years to come. That place looks as cheesy as those air brushed t-shirts they sell up there! lol Thanks for trying!

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portraits in pencil?

The place in the Mountain Mall is still open. We saw some people in there this past weekend. They do those caricature drawings though, those where the head is big and the features are exaggerated. I don't know if they do drawings that look 'normal' for lack of a better word.

Oh ok, just read your reply. Yeah, I don't think thats what you're looking for at all. There are a lot of artists in the arts and crafts community. Maybe someone there could do something like that for you.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 17:40
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portraits in pencil?

Penny, does it have to be a charcoal or pencil? Have you ever considered a painting?

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Portraits in pencil?

Wow veebee I hadn't even considered that but it's a possiblity. We are considering building a cabin and I love the whole black and white thing so that is why I was considering the charcoal. Thanks for the idea though I loved it!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portraits in pencil?

We had pictures of our granddaughters done in charcoal/pencil (can't recall which), at Dollywood, in the arts and crafts section. An amusement park may sound like a strange place to have this done, but the artist was truly exceptional, and it's a work of art that will be treasured for generations in our family.

He actually had them pose individually, but blended the drawings together on one format. These girls are actually very hyper and energetic, yet they posed with a patience that was simply shocking. I've never seen them sit still and have such a great time all at once.

I wish I could recall the name of the artist, because I'm sure he has a studio away from Dollywood. If I can remember, I'll ask my daughter to take a look at the portrait, and try to decipher the name.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portraits in pencil?

I had one done a couple of years ago from a gal who was at the Arts and Crafts Fair. Phenominal Job.

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
532 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portraits in pencil?

Well back in the old days....seriously the portrait artists that used to set up on the sidewalks inspired me to give it a try. I have been doing pencil portraits for several years and really hate that they were banned from doing that along the strip anymore. There were a couple of artists that over the years that moved to fixed locations and did photo-realistic portraits, but they too are gone. My dream was to set up a similiar shop in Gatlinburg. I even have drawn a couple of portraits for clients while on vacation. I took my drawing board to The Village and it was very inspiring!

Edited: 02 February 2011, 17:19
california
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portraits in pencil?

yes i know an artist that can do it in charcoal or oil his name is V.Vort

an lives in gatlinburg, tn phone number is 865-277-7079 very reasonable

10. Re: Portraits in pencil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 21:17