We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

My husband and I are taking our two kids to Gatlnburg the week of July 4th.... We are staying 4 nights at the new Wyndham Lodge with the waterpark in side of it. But I want to spend a few nights in a hotel/motel in gatlinburg on the strip so we dont have to pay for parking..... I want to spend 60 to 90 bucks a night. Any places that you recommend?? Or any places to competely avoid?? Any in put would be great thank you so much!!!

Also what are your fav things to do with kids? We have Two girls age 8 and 7. They keep talking about horse back riding. Any place to go? Even though we have never rode before? Any help is mighty appreicatied thank you for your in put! CAN'T WAIT TO GO:)

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

Hi if you coming in July it is probaly going to be hard to find a nice hotel around those prices.They will be more like closer to $ 90.00.I would recommend Clarion,Midtown Lodge,Bearskin Lodge,Jack Huffs and make sure you book early because of the holiday they book quickly and some have a 2-3 night min. around the hoildays to.There are alot of hotels on the main strip in Gatlinburg.As far as horseback riding there are several places to go like Sugarland Riding Stables,Five Oaks Riding.I would also recommend going into the national park or a picnic at The Chimneys beside the river so the children can play in the water and climb on the rocks.Cades Cove is also another good place to go and a good chance at seeing wildlife there.There is lots of things to do and see in the area.Hope you have a wonderful trip.

http://discoverthesmokies.com/

http://www.gatlinburg.com/default.asp

http://www.smokymountainridingstables.com/

sugarlandsridingstables.com

adventureparkatfiveoaks.com

waldencreekstables.com

Mentioned in this post
Jack Huff's
Jack Huff's
562 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Sugarland Riding Stables
Sugarland Riding Stables
755 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,328 Reviews
South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

cntwait2go,

I would go to the "discover the smokies" website and click on the smoky mountain parkway link and then choose the Gatlinburg parkway you can see all the hotels, restaurants, and attractions listed on the parkway and check your dates for availability and pricing.

Im not sure about horseback riding because I've never been but, I know the Aquarium in Gatlinburg is nice and also the petting zoo in Sevierville is fun too!!!

Good Luck with your search....and have a great trip....we will be there the week after you!!!! and I cant wait either!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
497 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

I've been horseback riding at two places in the Park. One is out 321 & the other is on the main rooute through the park. No need to be experienced the horses know the route. There usually is an age & weight limit to ride. There are lots of stables all around the area.

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

Definitely spend some time in the park. July will be perfect weather to get out and see some of the water holes and I'm sure your kids will love that. Check our Cades Cove and once you drive through there is a great picnic area there with a good place to get into the creek.

We like the aquarium and I think your kids would like it too. The Skylift in downtown Gatlinburg is pricey but is something that you should try at least once. The view from the top is amazing. The tram also looks fun but I've never been able to ride it since everyone else with me is afraid of heights.

We stayed in the River Edge Motor Lodge last month and its very reasonably priced. They have some bad reviews but we've stayed there three times and never had any problems. They have remodeled recently and it was very clean when we were there in January. They are on River Road and a very short walk to the parkway.

Some of our favorite places to eat(and these are all kid-friendly since we travel with a toddler) are: The Smoky Mountain Brewery, Bennetts and Calhouns. We also tried Howards Steakhouse for lunch for the first time last month and it was very good too.

The petting zoo that was mentioned is also fun. We took our daughter there last year and its small but still a lot of fun. You can actually get in with the baby goats and hold them, that was our favorite part. And they do horseback riding there too. Here is their website.

http://www.deerfarmzoo.com/

There are a ton of putt-putt places so you could do one of those. Hillbilly golf is fun, but we haven't done it in many years. Ripley's also has two golf places, one in Gatlinburg and one in Sevierville near the Tanger outlets.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,328 Reviews
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
River Edge Motor Lodge
River Edge Motor Lodge
163 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Smoky Mountain Brewery
Smoky Mountain Brewery
4,724 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Calhoun's Gatlinburg
Calhoun's Gatlinburg
3,322 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Howard's Steakhouse
Howard's Steakhouse
859 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Hillbilly Golf
Hillbilly Golf
1,840 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

We loved going horse back riding, this past summer was our first time. I had never been on a horse. we went to Sugar Land Riding stables and they were great. my son and hubby had never rode either so they got us very gentle horses. We got to see a snake and 2 bears on the trail it was great and sooooo relaxing. We plan on going again this summer for sure. We also love Dollywood and playing mini-golf at night when it cools down from a hot day.

As far as hotels in Gatlinburg we liked Hampton Inn and River House motor lodge. both were clean and walking distance to everything. The River House had balcony's over looking the river which was very relaxing after a long day at Dollywood.

Mentioned in this post
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,944 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

I agree with the riverhouse motor lodge and the hampton inn but they may be over your budget or require a minimum night stay, we have also stayed at the quality inn creekside they are cheap and right on the pkwy.

I would also visit the park and cades cove the kids will love the animals, i would suggest packing a picnic lunch for the park.

7. Re: Help! Where to stay?? And what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 11:16