We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clingmans Dome

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
273 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Clingmans Dome

I noticed that during the winter the road to Clingmans Dome is closed. I am planning to go this week. How far is the walk from parking to the observation area if the road to the top is closed? Is this even a possibility?

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clingmans Dome

Clingman's Dome Road from Newfound Gap Rd to the parking lot for Clingman's Dome is about 7 miles long. That would be quite a walk, especially in the winter. ;) After you get to the Clingman's Dome parking lot, there is another steep path up to the observation tower but the view from the parking lot is amazing.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clingmans Dome

cookie is 100% right.

People do park at New found Gap and walk up to Clingmans but it is a straight up walk.There is restrooms at the top but not sure if they would be open since the road up is closed.The views are amazing up there.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
273 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clingmans Dome

Looks like Im not doing this then : ) Guess the drive down 441 will just have to do.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clingmans Dome

Sorry you won't be there when the road is open. Maybe on another trip sometime. Last September was the first time I went up to Clingman's Dome and was just in awe of the view. I was afraid Clingman's Dome Rd would be too scary for me to drive but it wasn't and hope to go again in the Spring. You'll still enjoy the drive on Newfound Gap Rd....there are plenty of places to pull over and take in the beautiful views and the view from Newfound Gap is spectacular, too! Have a wonderful vacation!

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
536 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clingmans Dome

If you are reading this, then definitely make sure you can check out Clingman's Dome if possible. On a side note, I had a good friend who liked to visit this area more so in the spring or summer. He said the views from Clingman's Dome weren't that great, as the "Smoky" haze is more thick (from what I'm told) in the summer months. I went in Sept. and the views are amazing. We revisited in June a couple years later, but didn't make it to Clingman's Dome. I wish I would have checked it out, to see if the views really were any different.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clingmans Dome

Be advised, no matter how much snow and ice that may, or may not be on the 7 mile drive from Newfound Gap to Clingmans Dome parking lot, the road wil be closed....its closed from the end of November till early March

Ray

7. Re: Clingmans Dome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2012, 17:16