We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

Kokomo, IN
Level Contributor
13 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

I am thinking of taking my daughter to the Gatlinburg area April 3-8 for spring break. Is this a busy time of year in the area? What activities would you recommend for a six year old?

I am considering the Bearskin Lodge after reading the reviews. An indoor pool is a must for her so this hotel seems like the best choice. Are there any other good options? Thanks in advance!

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

The Bearskin Lodge pool is outside. However, it is a heated pool and lazy river.

It will probably be busy but not as busy as other times of the year. Most people from the north or even here in Ky tend to go to Florida over spring break.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

April is not one of Gatlinburg's busy times. We have gone several times for Spring Break and it hasn't been bad at all. I think she would definately like the aquarium in Gatlinburg. There is also Rainforest Adventures in Pigeon Forge. My kids love it. There are also plenty of places to play put put golf and ride go carts.

Kokomo, IN
Level Contributor
13 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

Oh, Thanks. I read another post on this site that said it was indoor. Is it typically warm enough to swim outside in April, or does anyone have any suggestions for a different hotel?

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

There is a Ramada Inn that has an indoor swimming pool. The rooms are ok...not great. We went in April last year and the first few nights we were there were pretty cold. It did warm up but not really enough to swim. It might be ok though in an indoor pool.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

She may like the indoor pool at the Best Western Zoders or Holiday inn sunspree.Le Conte view motor lodge has a indoor pool.Park vista resort also has a indoor pool.I hope this helps some.The clarion Inn has an enclosed pool but you do have to walk oustside to get to it.I hope this helps some.She may also enjoy Dollywood if it is open when you come.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

The Clarion Hotel is very nice..

The indoor pool is nice but, like the other poster said, it is separate from the hotel. It is located right behind the hotel in the middle of where the parking is. Not all that far, though.

We stayed at LeConte View in the back building which has the indoor pool in it. If you stay there then I would ask for that building. It has been several years ago that we stayed there but at that time we thought rooms were nice and ours was quite large.

Holiday Inn Sunspree and Park Vista have mixed reviews. We have never been at the Holiday Inn but did stay years ago at Park Vista. Really nice indoor pool area but our room was not very nice and we asked to be moved when the drawer fell out on my daughters foot. Second room was better. I heard they remodeled. Maybe someone on here can tell you more. It is not within walking distance unless you can maneuver STEEP hills. But they do have a shuttle. LeConte and Clarion are right on the Parkway close to everything.

Oviedo, FL
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

You could rent a condo at the Summit they have two indoor pools and a indoor spa plus an outdoor pool. Dont know what units are good or bad. But all have kitchens and most have mountain views.

Catfish

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

I would not say that it is warm enough to swim in TN in April. I have lived here all my life and it has never been warm enough for my tastes until after Memorial Day. So, if you have your heart on swimming, I'd go with an indoor and heated pool. I think your six year old would LOVE to ride the chair lift, can't miss it, it is right in the middle of town--that is unless she is scared of heights. They take your picture that is stamped with the time and date on it and you can buy a print and they will mail it to you for a small fee. It is a really neat souvenier. Also, you could go to Dollywood. She'd love it there. It's lots of fun for kids, especially younger ones and there are lots of crafts and such for the adults. I don't think April is a really crazy time for travel in Gatlinburg. And, you should not get any of the spring breakers who will most likely be headed for the beach. If you don't feel like dealing with Dollywood, there was a small amusement park right in the heart of Gatlinburg last time I was there, but it has been a while. My brother who is 21 took his girlfriend and her 8 year old sister to the aquarium there and they said it was nice. You can always buy lots of yummy treats in the little stores/shops along the main "strip" area. I'd say it would be fun just to walk that area and browse the stores too especially if you have never been. If your daughter is a fan of go-carts, you can get your fill of those too down by Dollywood in the Pigeon Forge area. Hope this is helpful!

Indiana
Level Contributor
579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

We always stay at the Clarion and my 7 yr. old granddaughter loves their pool. The short walk from the hotel to the pool is not bad at all. There are dressing rooms in the enclosure where you can change if it isn't warm enough to be outdoors in your swimsuit. They also have bountiful free breakfasts. My granddaughter also loves the aquarium.

Kokomo, IN
Level Contributor
13 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break in Gatlinburg???

Thanks everyone. I will definately go to the aquarium, and yes I think she would like the chair lift. The rainforest sounds fun too! I will check rates on the Clarion as it sounds like several people were pleased with it. The Fairfield Inn at stoplight one has a great price for that week. Does anyone have experience with them? They have an indoor pool, and a free breakfast for $40 a night. That would certainly leave lots of money left over for other things. Is it a nice hotel/location?

I appreciate everyones advice. I haven't been there since I was a little girl so I am looking forward to doing it with my little girl now :o)