We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me with child convincing techniques

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me with child convincing techniques

As you already know, we are taking our 3 boys, ages 15 1/2, 10, and 6 to GB during Easter break. We have never taken our 6 yr old with us so this is a first for him. I want them to enjoy the outdoorsy stuff. Cades Cove, Roaring Fork, playing in streams, the Chimneys etc... They don't want any part of it. GoCarts, Muscle Car Museum, and arcades is all they have on their minds. Any suggestions? I even suggested the Park Ranger programs for kids and they look at me like I've grown a third eye.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

Suggest that if they get to do something THEY like(go-karts) then they need to particiate in something MOM wants. Fairs fair...

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

Don't even try to "convince" them. You are the parent, just drive where ever you want to go. They will probably love it.

3. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 01:35
Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

looking for that "Like" button lovin was talking about!

( I am "liking" 34oSc's post!)

Edited: 11 March 2011, 00:29
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

umm yeah. Hubby said that I was being "too" nice. I need to tell them, "this is what we're doing. No options. You can stay at home with grandma or do what I say we are going to do." I just don't want it to feel it is being forced on them. I want them to have the love and appreciation for nature like I do. But I can't figure out how to do it when there's so much touristy stuff down there. Guess I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

Tell the 15 year old, "There are girls in the woods and they like hikers!"

Promise the 10 year old to get his favorite X-Box , Wii, or playstation game upon returning home.

Hope the 6 year old wants to follow his brothers.

You couldn't get me out of the woods when I was a a child.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

I have 2 boys 7 and 18, and here is a few things they enjoy when we go to the mountains. They love tubing in the streams. We bought these sling slots (shop in Arts & Crafts community) for them to use for pebbles in streams just make sure they only use them where there are no other people.

Let them make smores in the chimney tops picnic area, or roast hot dogs.

These are a few things we have done.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

lol dawg. Love it.

Thanks for all of your tips. Thought I would take the football along when we go to Cades Cove and let them pass the football around when we stop to picnic. As far as Smores etc...I mentioned that stuff to the oldest before and he said, "we do that crap when we go camping." ugh! lol. teenagers are going to be the death of me.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

Would your boys be interested in scavenger hunting? I realize teens can be hard to figure out. There are geocaching and letterboxes hidden in the area just waiting to be found. A little different idea.

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://letterboxing.org/

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me with child convincing techniques

now let's see... girls in the woods....slingslots....and smores...what more could a guy ask for!

CAN I GO TOOOOO????!!!!!