We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

I am curious what you all think about what the future really holds for the Loop Road. I have read many things about the car traffic and wonder what will happen. For my family personally, I stay in the campground, bike,walk and drive the Loop alot. For others, who just like to drive, this may come to a end as far as their own vehicles go. What recent info do you know?

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

It will have to be closed to traffic curing busy times--loop buses and bikes only.

I grew up going to the Cove on a regular basis--at least once a month.

But nowadays it is just too crowded sometimes. Too many cars in too little space.

So they switch to off-and-on buses, it will still be really nice and if you want to drive around it, come on a Tuesday or Wednesday (or any day in December)!

At least Congress and TVA gave up the plan to dam it and build a lake there!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

Middle Aged Man: Have you heard anything about a proposed Interstate 3 possibly going through the Cades Cove area?

Supposedly it is an effort to connect with Oak Ridge, and provide a more direct rte. to the Savannah River Project in SCarolina.

Part of this I3, has been through GA.

Just wondering if you heard anything along those lines.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
676 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

The National Parks people are trying to figure out what to do. The problem with buses or trams is where to park the hundreds of cars while people are visiting the cove.

It seems that there are too many cars most of the time, so something will have to be done. Just think of all that carbon monoxide belching from all those cars!!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

They should have shuttles for a fee in Gatlinburg/pf that would take them there.They could leave car at the hotel.

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

Yes, I agree to some of the ideas about bus/trams but you are right, where to put the cars. Sugarlands can't do it, where would a parking lot go? I agree to the pollution problem the Cove is sooo affected by all these cars. I can't ride my bike with my kids unless we leave before daybreak to get all the way around before the first car. They don't care about pedestrians at all. My mother was hit by a car mirror-just walking---to many bike accidents over the past few years. Do you think the park would be affected by closing the loop for an entire day? One day a week designated to bikes and walkers?

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

Why don't they put a parking lot in gatlinburg right outside the park?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

We went out to Zion National Park a few years ago and they use a tram/bus system. I did not think that I would like it, being so used to driving in Cades Cove and stopping where ever we wanted. It was actually quite nice, and peacefull. Townsend might be a good starting place for such a system.

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

Smokiesgirl, your right about Townsend. It would even give the town a chance to have more growth and income. They deffiantly have the land for a parking lot.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

So is the road closed except Tues and Wed? or is that just a suggestion from the poster. I want to take my kids to the Smokies this summer but I may not if Cades Cove is closed to traffic. that is the number one attraction I want them to see.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Future of Cades Cove Loop Road?

No, that's just a good suggestion. It is closed to motor traffic on Wed. and Saturday morinings until 10am for bicycle and pedestrian use only from early May to late September.