We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

Higginsport, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

Is Gatlinburg going to tell people that raw sewage is running through the downtown area? It has to be, with that 1.2 million, to 3 million gallon sewage tank failure.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sewage_spill

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

In the article you linked, it says that the city is warning people not to come into contact with the water until it can be tested. It just happened this morning.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

It's not in the downtown area. If I'm reading it correctly, it spilled on the spur by the Visitor Center where the river runs towards Pigeon Forge, not Gatlinburg.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

Any news if it was raw sewage or if it had been somewhat treated?

Wyandotte, Michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

Vee, according to Knox News, the TN dept. of environment and conservation spokesperson said it was a mixture of sewage and rainwater but without the solids.

knoxnews.com/news/…

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

there's nothing in Gatlinburg at all. Smokiesgirl is right. The worst of it is, there's 2 workers missing that might have gotten washed into the river. Last night we probably had 4 inches of rain so the water is really high. There was also a mudslide in Gatlinburg along the northbound lanes so there is one lane open each direction as the northbound has merged into one of the southbound lanes.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

Totally agree. We should all pray for the workers. When I first read this story, all I could think is that water is cold in July and I really hope they did not fall in. We had really bad storms yesterday and I feel for those families. Grassmower, where is the mudslide? Is it also on the spur?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

The river flows north according to this article so it would make sense that it would be flowing toward PF and not Gburg.

thedailytimes.com/Breaking_News/story/UPDATE…

8. Re: Raw sewage in downtown Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:16