We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas closed due to storms

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Topic
Areas closed due to storms

From Smoky Mountain Hiker:

"As a result of fallen trees from strong overnight storms, the Little River Road between Metcalf Bottoms and the Townsend "Wye" is temporarily closed.

Additionally, both the Foothills Parkway West and the Chimneys Picnic Area are also closed due to downed trees.

You should also note that the Beard Cane, Cooper Road, and Ace Gap trails in the Abrams Creek area continue to be closed. As a result of numerous downed trees from prior wind storms, portions of these trails are currently impassable, and the park is asking that hikers avoid these trails until they are cleared."

Edited: 28 April 2011, 15:16
Wyandotte, Michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas closed due to storms

Aww hopefully they get these areas cleaned up soon. We're leaving in 9 days! I was hoping to picnic in the Chimney's area.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas closed due to storms

I hope all our friends here are O.K., there have been terrible storms in the south especially in Alabama.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas closed due to storms

There's no power in Northern Alabama anywhere and won't be for a week or longer. No gas either unless a station has a generator.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas closed due to storms

There is power and gas in certain areas of north Alabama. Some areas don't expect power until next week.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas closed due to storms

9 days short? Shouldn't be a problem. It's those of us further to the south from Gatlinburg that will be having it bad for several more days. We were lucky in Chatt. in that we didn't lose power where we live. However, northern Al and Ga not only have limited power but little cell phone use due to so many cell towers being down.

Wyandotte, Michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas closed due to storms

I hope mother nature behaves for a while. All this severe weather is terrible. Last night seems to be the worst of all the severe weather the country has endured this month.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas closed due to storms

We're hearing a lot of hearbreaking stories from people I work with who live in north Alabama and north Georgia. And unfortunately, the number who didn't survive is going to continue to rise.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas closed due to storms

It's been a nightmare from what little I have seen. While the winds around here have been terrific, (Central Mississippi),we have been spared more than once in the last week,..many others have not. I kept wondering last night if our time was coming.

Entire schools north of here were wiped out. I read a story about a man tent camping with his 9 year old daughter, who threw himself over her just before a massive tree fell on the tent. She survived, but he did not. She used his cell phone while trapped to call for help, and the father was struck by lightning. What a horrible tragedy to say the least.

I cannot recall a more disastrous spring. We always get tornadoes, yet this has become freaky. To top it all off, the Mississippi River is fixing to be well above flood stage, and no one seems to be talking about it. It's going to reach heights not seen since 1937. That folks, is a lot of flooding.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas closed due to storms

We arrived in Gatlinburg today.

On the way down, on I81 near Chilhowie, a tornado went thru and accross the exit, we were in traffic for a few hours. When we got to the exit, it was unbelievable. At least a half dozen tractor trailers overturned. houses off foundations, there was a company that rents those large metal storage boxes, it blew some of them all the way accross the interstate.

We stopped at the next exit and spoke to a local lady that said at least 6 people were killed right in that area. It was terrible.

There was also some damage in Newport, but when we got to Cobbly Nob there was no damage to speak of.

Hokes Bluff, AL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas closed due to storms

Here in my area of northeast alabama we are fortunate that we never lost power. However in the next county east where I work the power is expected to be of for 3 to 5 days. Sad day in Alabama. A lot of property and lives lost.