We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

Which is the best route to take coming from east texas to gatlinburg, tn? We can take I-30 thur memphis and nashville or take I-20 thur shreport, meridian, and chattanooga? Any advice on which way to go and where to stay will be of great help. I know I have posted about this before but still need some more ideas.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

My calculations tell me that from Dallas, you can save an hour by traveling the northerly route through Memphis and Nashville, rather than I-20 through Jackson, MS, Birmingham, AL, and Chattanooga. Of course much would depend on road construction and the time of day that you hit metropolitan areas. Construction of which I'm aware along the southern route includes 1-20 east of Jackson, MS, and also along 1-59 between Birmingham and Fort Payne AL.

Are you asking about where to stay along the way? Or while in the Gatlinburg area? If along the way, and it were me, I would get most of the driving out of the way on day 1 and stay in Nashville. That way you get to take a more leisurely drive on day 2, maybe make some stops along the way,..or get an early check in.

If the question is about where to stay in the Gatlinburg area, I always recommend Wears Valley for some peace and relaxation between activities.

texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

Thank you for the info. We rented a cabin on ski mountain. Do you know which is the more scenic route? Also how bad is the construction?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

I have only traveled the southern route described, so I can only tell you that the scenery becomes more attractive (to my taste) when the terrain becomes more hilly as you approach the Appalachian foothills north of Birmingham.

For this reason, and for time concerns, I think the northerly route through Memphis would be more attractive, but in my estimation is that would only be the case after passing through Nashville.

Both areas of construction described have two lanes closed on one side of the interstate, narrowing the traffic to two lanes, reducing allowable speeds to 50 MPH, and of course you will most likely find yourself behind others, such as 18 wheelers and RVs that are traveling at a slower pace. The southward traveled lane mentioned at the closure above Birmingham is very bumpy, whereas the northerly direction would provide a slower than usual, yet smoother ride.

If you choose the southern route and are staying overnight along the way, I would discourage you, or anyone else from staying in Jackson, MS. I hate to bad mouth the place, but the incidents of auto burglary, auto theft, and numerous other criminal activity compels me to discourage anyone and everyone from leaving their vehicle parked within the city limits overnight in a hotel parking lot.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 10:31
texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

Thank you for such great advice. Do you know how long the construction is? My friend that is going with us wants to go through Louisiana and that is the only way I see to go unless going way out of our way?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

I can't recall exactly what the distance is as pertaining to length of the road work. But I don't see it as adding as much as an hour to your trip. My estimation of the work north of Birmingham is about 10-15 miles.

The work east of Jackson, MS. is just underway, and I have yet to travel that route since it began. I wouldn't expect too much delay unless I was hitting the area during peak traffic hours, like on a Friday evening between 4-6, or an early weekday morning.

You seem to have an appreciation for detailed planning when it comes to routes and navigation, as do I. And I'll bet we both enjoy anticipating even minor issues that always arise. I get a kick out of nailing the timing just right, especially when you can get through a metropolitan area when the traffic is at it's least volume.

But sometimes it's like digging with post hole diggers. You just have no idea how hard the ground is until to get into it. If you have good company along for the ride it makes a great difference. I have to force myself to keep in mind that the journey can be a fun part of the adventure, and when I can get that accomplished, no amount of traffic stalls can get in the way of having a great time. The main thing is to avoid having an accident, or falling prey to what can be referred to as "modern day roadside vandals".

Getting there safely, and with a smile on your face is of course the main objective :-)

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

Neither route the I 30/I40 route or I 20 is attractive. It's plain interstate traffic with nothing exciting until you get close to GB. Here's some places to stop and rest between Dallas and Nashville. Get Off I30 at Exit 127 on Shannon Road in Sulphur Springs, TX and go to Burton's Family Restaurant for great road food at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is a typical diner and nothing is fancy about it but the food which is not expensive. It's next to the Best Western and convenient for quick access to I30.

Burton's Family Restaurant @ 1505 Shannon Rd E, Sulphur Springs, TX 903 - 885 - 5976.

http://www.burtonsfamilyrestaurant.com/

Get off I30 at Exit 201 on N Center St. and get a good country meal at Nana's which is right off I30.

Nana's Family Diner @ 1026 North Center St/, New Boston, TX 903 - 628 - 0700.

One of my favorite road stops is Ramage Farms Country Store at Exit 208 for good road food. The restaurant is an old building just off the N side of I30 and has all sorts of food stuff to purchase to take home. They serve outstanding BBQ, sandwiches, combo plates and steaks. Stop by if just to rest and get a cold drink. It's worth the effort to visit the old store.

Ramage Farms Country Store @ 901 Main St., Hooks, TX 903 - 547 - 6187.

http://www.ramagefarms.com/

If you want real family country food then get off I30 at Exit 222 in Texarkana, TX and go to Bryce's Cafeteria for the best home cooked food in America. It's just off I30 at Exit 222 and very convenient.

Bryce's Cafeteria @ 2021 Mall Dr., Texarkana, TX 903 - 792 - 1611.

http://www.brycescafeteria.com/

On up the road at Arkadelphia, AR you will find good hamburger's at Hamburger Barn or good country food for breakfast or lunch at The Honeycomb Restaurant at Exit 73.

Hamburger Barn @ 2813 Pine Street, Arkadelphia, AR 870 - 246 - 5556.

The Honeycomb Restaurant @ 710 Main Street, Arkadelphia, AR 870 - 245 - 2333.

http://www.honeycombrestaurant.com/

At Exit 116 at Benton, AR you will find outstanding road food at Ed & Kay's Restaurant on the N side of I30 for lunch and dinner.

Ed and Kay's Restaurant @ 15228 Interstate 30 N., Benton, AR 501 - 315 - 3663.

Get off I 40 at Exit 175 at Lonoke, AR and go S on Highway 31 to E 8th Street and go to Pruett's for good BBQ.

Pruett's Bar B Que @ 108 E. 8th St., Lonoke, AR. 501 - 676 - 2622.

Get off I 40 at Exit 183 at Carlisle, AR on Highway 13 and go S to Nick's BBQ in Carlisle, AR.

Nick's Bar B Que @ Hwy. 13 N., Carlisle, AR. 870 - 552 - 3887.

http://www.nicksbq.com/

Craig's BBQ in Devall's Bluff, AR is outstanding.

Craig's BBQ @ Rt. 70, Devalls Bluff, AR. 501 - 998 - 2616.

Get off I 40 at Exit 241A/B and go N to Colt, AR on Highway 1. Take a left on Highway 306 and go to Greg and Jim's for good BBQ. Greg & Jim's Grocery & BBQ @ Hwy 306, Colt, AR. 870 - 633 - 0541.

Get off I40 at Exit 241A/B and go S on North Washington Street in Forrest City, AR to The Ole Sawmill Cafe. It's open for breakfast, lunch or dinner and serves outstanding country food. Get off on the S side of I40 on N Washington and go about 2 blocks to Ole Sawmill Cafe on your right.

The Ole Sawmill Cafe @ 2299 N. Washington St., Forrest City, AR 870 - 630 - 2299.

http://olesawmillcafe.com/

For outstanding BBQ stop at Roadside BBQ @ Exit 271 off I 40 In W Memphis, AR.

Roadside BBQ @ 196 Arkansas 147, West Memphis, AR 870 - 733 - 9208.

If you want to stop in Memphis, TN for BBQ I suggest you go to Cozy Corner BBQ due to it's location close to I 40. Right after your cross the Mississippi River get off I 40 at Exit 1B and go N on N Danny Thomas Blvd. Go about 2 blocks and you will pass St. Jude Children's Hospital then take a right on N. Parkway. Go 2 blocks to Cozy Corner for outstanding BBQ. When you leave CC head E to N Manasas and take your left. Go a block and take a right on Jackson Ave. then go about half a mile to I 240. Go under the IS and take a left going N and get on I 240 or I40 and go N. Go about 15 miles on I 240. You will turn E and then S before you reach Exit 12C then take I 40 E 200 miles to Nashville, TN.

Cozy Corner @ 745 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN. 901 - 527 - 9158.

http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/

It's about 85 miles from Cozy Corner to Jackson, TN. It's a fine place for a road stop. Get off I 40 at Exit # 80A at Jackson, TN and get off to the right on Hwy. 186/45 then turn into Casey Jones Old Country Store on the right. This is a large complex with Casey Jone's Home and Museum and some shops. The Old Country Store serves a buffet of outstanding country food for breakfast, lunch or dinner and opens at 6:30 AM.

Old Country Store @ 56 Casey Jones Lane, Jackson, TN 731 - 668 - 1223.

http://www.caseyjones.com..CountryStore/index.html

First good country food is at Exit 204 before you get to downtown Nashville on I 40. Get off and go right on Robertson Ave. then take your first left on Charlotte Ave. go past the shopping center on your left and take a left on 53rd Ave. N and Wendell Smith's is on your left open for breakfast, lunch and dinner serving good soul and country food. There's a Best Western, Days Inn, Comfort and Baymont back at Robertson where you get back on I 40 if you want to stay there. If you stay in this area you can go back to Wendell Smith's for breakfast.

Wendell Smith's @ 407 53rd Ave. North, Nashville, TN 615 - 383 - 7114.

If you pass up Wendell Smith's then you can get off I 40 at Exit 1A and go back E on West End about a mile and then turn left on 25th Ave. N just past Centennial Park take your 1st right on Elliston and Rotier's is just ahead. Have a great meal there in one of Nashville's most well liked restaurants serving good seafood, steaks, sandwiches and plain ole good food in great atmosphere. Opens around 10:30 AM for lunch and dinner and closed on Sunday.

Rotier's Restaurant @ 2413 Elliston Place, Nashville, TN 615 - 327 - 9892.

http://www.rotiers.com/

Arnold's Country Kitchen @ 605 8th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 615 - 256 - 4455.

www.hollyeats.com/ArnoldsCountryKitchen.htm

texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

We actually drove from central TX to Gatlinburg 2 weeks ago. On the way there, we drove up to Tyler, hit I-20 thru Shreveport and spent night in Huntsville AL. Next day we had about a 5 hr easy drive to Gatlinburg. On the way back, went thru Memphis, stopped and visired Elvis for a few hrs and stayed night in Little Rock. Home thru Dallas the next day. Neither route was particularly scenic, but we liked taking a different way home. Construction was not a problem either way.

texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

We actually drove from central TX to Gatlinburg 2 weeks ago. On the way there, we drove up to Tyler, hit I-20 thru Shreveport and spent night in Huntsville AL. Next day we had about a 5 hr easy drive to Gatlinburg. On the way back, went thru Memphis, stopped and visired Elvis for a few hrs and stayed night in Little Rock. Home thru Dallas the next day. Neither route was particularly scenic, but we liked taking a different way home. Construction was not a problem either way.

9. Re: Best route from texas to gatlinburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 02:17