We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with fishing

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help with fishing

Let me say that we have never been fishing so we dont know alot about it. My 6 year old son would love to though and i think it sounds fun and relaxing by a creek somewhere.

Just wanting to know where to get the license? in gatlinburg or pf is fine. Not sure if there is a place that has fishing poles you can rent and bait or if we should just buy our own. if we bring our own where do we get bait? Were not wanting to keep the fish just throw them back.

Thanks!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with fishing

Do a search for Gatlinburg trout fishing. The city has some information on linence requirements, rules, etc. Also they have a good stocking program and a couple of areas that is kids only fishing. I don't know of anyone renting tackle but they may have some information.

John

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with fishing

lol yeah i guess it kinda looks like i said to rent bait! lol just meant the poles!

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with fishing

My daughter & SIL went to a trout "farm" in Cherokee. They provide the pole and bait and you pay by the pound for what you catch. It may not be the typical fishing in a stream experience but he would be sure to catch something! I also believe they clean the fish for you and you could cook his catch for supper.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with fishing

That sounds great! Probably just what we would need!

I thought i came across something like that but couldnt find it when i wanted to lol

ill definatly look into that! thanks!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with fishing

I was by the trout farm in Cherokee last week and the gates where closed. I don't know if they are open or not. There is a place between Cherokee and Maggie Valley on 19 that is a pay for your catch trout fishing. I have seen some other places that are similar but can not remember the names.

As for bait in the stream which are stocked you can use the processed dough baits or the best yet can corn. It looks like the food the feed them in the hatcherys.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with fishing

Hi,

IF you are interested in the trout farm idea--check out English Mountain Trout Farm & Grill in Sevierville. You will guaranteed a catch. Plus once you hook'em, they will cook'em! This way you won't have to worry about licenses, poles, bait, etc. The farm provides it all, but charges a small fishing fee for each fisherman/woman.

dininginthesmokies.com/_sevier/english_mount…

Hope this helps!

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
636 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with fishing

For fishing information in the well stocked Gatlinburg streams, go to the Gatlinburg City Hall which is located on Hwy 321 or simply visit any tourism information center. I personally would recommend that you go to the NOC store located at the end of the strip in Gatlinburg next to the Park. It is in the old Open Hearth building. They will have all the information, gear, license, etc that you will need. They also arrange guided fishing in the GSMNP. It is a good outdoors store that will serve you well as a stop early in your stay. A visit to their website may be helpful.

Based upon your experience and what you are looking for, the prior recommended trout farm experience or the stream fishing in the city of Gatlinburg would be a good introduction to fishing in Tennessee. There are also some really good trout farms outside of Cherokee if you are going to be in that area during your stay. A trout farm assures a catch for your young son. Have fun and good luck wetting your hook!

Edited: 16 June 2011, 10:43
Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with fishing

Thanks for all the tips! I think we are going to try to make time for Cherokee this trip as we havent in the past but staying a little longer this trip.

I will find one that will work for us! Ive always wanted to fish but hubbys not really into it so we just never do it. But now that our son is interested how can we not let him fish! lol

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
229 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with fishing

The Smoky Mountain Angler has everything you need to fish Gatlinburg. The rent it all.

Here's a link... smokymountainangler.com/mtncreekmedia/Welcom…

I think you would have a lot more "fun" fishing the stream in Gatlinburg over going to a stocked pond. From all the trout that I have seen in Gatlinburg I would think catching a few would be fairly easy. Check out the link, give them a call and have a great time which ever you choose.

ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with fishing

O.K. here is what we did with our 3 yr old grandson we were down there from sat to wed last week. My husband brought a fishing pole and bobbers for him and a small child size from home. We went to Walmart and bought license for 1 day $8 children are free. We went to Douglas Dam road off 66, we stopped at the Dam Store ( name of the Store) and got fishing worms. We turned off a road that said something about a marina don't remember the name and we just let him fish near the water there he caught bluegills and just threw them back in. It was a beautiful day and this was one of the highlights of our trip.