We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoky mountains

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
12 posts
Save Topic
Smoky mountains

Can anyone tell me which one of the waterfalls in the Smoky mountains is the easiest to get to/ visit?

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoky mountains

Laurel Falls is relatively easy....the trail is not too strenuous or too far. There is a waterfall behind Sugarlands Visitor Center....very accessible. Not sure how big it is.

Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoky mountains

We like Grotto Falls. It is around 2.5 miles round trip with a moderate climb in elevation. You take the scenic Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail to get to the trailhead.

The trail to Laurel Falls is paved. It is also around 2.5 miles round trip.

Cataract Falls is located behind the visitor center (Sugarlands). You can combine this with a walk on the Fighting Creek nature trail that begins at the center and is 1 mile in length or you can just walk to Cataract Falls.

Stop at the nat'l park visitor (Sugarlands) and talk to the staff at the information desk. They can give you more information plus you can purchase a day hike brochure that can help you. When we purchased ours, the cost was $1.00. Don't know what they cost now. There is also a nat'l park information desk at the Gatlinburg Welcome center located before Gatlinburg on US441.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoky mountains

The easiest one to get to in the Smokies is probably Bridal Veil Falls near Highlands, NC. You can drive up to and under that one. But Highlands is a couple hours from Gatlinburg.

highlandsinfo.com/Video/BridalVailFalls.htm

While we're talking about NC, Brevard, NC is the land of waterfalls. You can drive up to several of them, such as Looking Glass Falls.

visitwaterfalls.com/adventure/waterfalls.html

Have a great trip!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoky mountains

Brad, we were in that area of NC in fall 2009, and I just loved all the waterfalls!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoky mountains

It's a beautiful area. It's not too far from Maggie Valley, so we go pretty often. I like Sliding Rock. Like the name implies, it's a huge, smooth rock in the river that you can climb up and slide down into a deep COLD pool of water. It's all-natural formations, and a lot of fun!

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoky mountains

BradMac,

We've never been to Maggie Valley or Brevard, NC. Thought about making a side trip to Sliding Rock, but isn't it quite a drive from the Gatlinburg area? Anything to do or see on the drive over & back from Gatlinburg? OR do you think that is quite a hike for just a day trip?

Thanks for any info.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoky mountains

Mingo Falls in Cherokee. For me, Laurel Falls was not easy, but I'm not in great shape. And the edges along the trail scared me. Brad is right about Brevard! It was the best thing we ever did in the Smokies! It would definately be a day trip in itself. We stayed in Maggie Valley.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoky mountains

Sorry I was so late responding, Daisy. I overlooked your post.

Maggie Valley is usually an hour and a half from GB, and Brevard is about an hour further on. So, yeah, the travel from GB is going to be a little less than 3 hours. It's not too much for me, but other folks may not want to get up very early while on vcacation.

It really is worth the effort, though!

ETA: The trip on 276 from Maggie Valley takes you down Main St. in Waynesville, which is wonderful. We always spend at least two afternoons here. There are coffee shops, art galleries, restaurants, Mast General Store, and many other places to walk & visit. It's great!

Edited: 28 June 2011, 14:06
9. Re: Smoky mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:18