We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto Falls question

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto Falls question

How wide is the path? Scared of snakes-phobic. I prefer a wider path to see where I'm walking. I loved the Deep Creek trail but I know its not like that.

Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto Falls question

The trail width is around three to five feet wide varying in different locations and has lots of roots. I also have a very terrible fear of snakes. However, my husband and I hiked the trail last October when the weather was cooler which decreased our chance of seeing a snake. I would not feel comfortable hiking the trails in hot weather.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto Falls question

My Husband and I have hiked the trail 2x in hot weather and have never seen any snakes. We did encounter a small chipmunk at the falls while eating that was trying to steal our food. :)

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto Falls question

The bigger question is bears?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto Falls question

I've seen snakes beside trails, never on the trail. They have never bothered, nor harassed me. I always leave them alone. I don't try to handle snakes, and I don't poke at them with sticks or try to lift them. A snake knows he cannot eat you, so will only bite if attempting to defend itself from people along the trail that might step on them, or folks seeming to reach into rocks or crevasses where a snake might be spending time. If a snake has a place to get away, it will move along and avoid people.

Same with bears. I increase and/or keep my distance. They go about their business, and I go about mine. I would only be concerned about bears if I were running the trails, and even then they would most likely hear you coming and move along.

5. Re: Grotto Falls question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:16