We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gatlinburg

I'll never go back

Rip off valley!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg

The Great Smokey Mountains National Park is wonderful--and FREE. We spent three days there and could easily have enjoyed more. How is such a place a rip off?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg

It's sad so many people come to the area and never set foot in the park or take the time to enjoy what it has to offer.

Honest, I've met many people who have come here for years and literally never been in the park.

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg

Yes, the town of Gatlinburg is full of overpriced tourist traps. But there are also many value-priced or even free things to do in the area. We love Gatlinburg but we've been there enough to know to avoid the tourist-traps(although we've probably done or seen most of them at least once.) For most people, even in these rough economic times, vacations are about splurging a little. And that is how all those over-priced places stay in business. Venture out a little and you can find many budget friendly things to see and do. Gatlinburg is so popular because of the Smokies park so try seeing some things there. Like the others said, they are free. And if anyone does a little research they might just find some out of the way places that are affordable and fun. There is a reason that the area, and the Smokies park, is one of the most visited in the US.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 03:58
Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg

Could you give more details? Why would you never go back? You sound like my 10 year old that got mad at me because I told him no.

Georgia
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg

I totally agree with BrittanyM. Yes, there are tourist traps and run down hotels in Gatlinburg, However, you will find these places in all vacation areas. (Orlando, Myrtle Beach, etc.) You have to do your research by checking the reviews on TA before you make plans. I have found for the most part they are acurate. If more than 33% of the reviews are bad I usually avoid that place.

The GSM park is so beautiful and there are lots of things to do and see that are all FREE. We spend most of the day in the park doing things and only spend time late in the day and at night doing things in the surrounding towns.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I hope that you will do some research on the area and give it another chance.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 13:32
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatlinburg

I definatley agree with the others if you got ripped off it's your fault.

We visit 2-3 times a year and and don't have that problem. Any town you visit for the first time you should research. You have obviously found TA, you should use it a little more. TA is great in pointing you in the right directions.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatlinburg

WOW, I can't get enough of the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge we go 4 or more times a year for the last 6 or 7 years if not longer. and we LOVE the place. you have to learn what to do and what not to do. but I for one LOVE to go into all those shops in Gatlinburg, hey I just love to look around I don't always buy but we just love to walk to streets of Gatlinburg our favorite time is at night , with all the lights and people. We also love to go to Dollywood and we always get season tickets You haven't seen anything until you see the Christmas lights at Dollywood. We also love the drive the Nature Motor Trail at light #8 in Gatlingburg it's a beautiful motor trail where you can see all kinds of water falls and wildlife.We love to have a picnic lunch at one of the wonderful picnic area's that the park has. We love to hike to many of the water falls in the park. I plan on moving there when we retire. I can't get enough of the area in fact we just got back a few days ago and I'm planning on a short trip in Oct. then we have our cabin booked for Christmas and I also have my cabin booked for June 2012. you will be missing out if you don't give Gatlinburg another try.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatlinburg

I wasn't a huge fan of Gatlinburg either. Funny thing, most of the responses are saying how great the park is. The Park IS great, but unfortunately, that's a whole other forum....I honestly wish they were more one. Gatlinburg has it's pitfalls, but if you do your homework and have a plan it's really a great AFFORDABLE vacation. I'm not sure where the original poster is from, but based on his reviews of the places he visited, things are much more inexpensive in his neck of the woods. I don't think Gatlinburg is any more expensive than, honestly, HOME!!!! We pay for our cabin, which is a great bargain and then eat out and choose entertainment according to our budget. I can't believe that anyone out there WITH a budget wouldn't do a little research before traveling.

TA is here for that very reason. I use the mobile app on my phone and the YELP app constantly when we are in a new area. There's another app that has all the places that Guy Fieri has visited on his triple D show.

Keep posting everyone!!!!! Happy vacation planning!!!!

9. Re: Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 July 2011, 01:28
Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatlinburg

The Park is great. I go in Feburary most of the time. I like to go over Clingmans when there is 2 to 3 feet of snow up there. So beautiful.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 01:31