We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestions

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rayne, Louisiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Need Suggestions

I will be on vacation in Gatlinburg for the week of Thanksgiving. I will be vacationing with my husband and two kids (ages 7 & 17). We would like to go horseback riding and ziplining. I was wondering which are the best companies for us to use. Also, we want to go see quite a few of the waterfalls. Any suggestions, on the best ones? Please keep in mind we will have a 7 year old so it can not be anything too long or hard.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Suggestions

The easiest waterfalls would be Laurel Falls, (Located along Little River Road, west of Sugarland Visitor Center), and Hen Wallow Falls, in the Cosby area.

A nice hike for any age would be the Little River Trail in Elkmont. The trail actually leads to a small waterfall that runs underneath a small bridge.

Can't help on the horseback riding. I'm sure others will chime in.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Suggestions

For flat terrain you might want to go to Cades Cove. I think most of the ride is pretty smooth trail from what I have seen of it. We just did the one at Smokemont to a waterfall but it is a 2 1/2 hour ride on the mountain ridge. They have a shorter trail that is easier and just crosses the stream but does not go all the way to the waterfall. I agree with Laurel falls. If you get down towards Cherokee the hike to Mingo Falls is not bad and Deep Creek has 3 waterfalls in one area.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Suggestions

Half Off Depot in Knoxville is offering a deal for ziplining in Sevierville. Don't know anything about the zip line company but the price seems good. I noticed that if you buy it expires on 11-26 but that would be the end of that week.

halfoffdepot.com/knoxville/categories/wahoo-…

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
295 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Suggestions

Cataract Falls is right behind Sugarland Visitor Center and is an easy trail as well.

As for horseback riding, I've never personaly done it (DW is scared to death of horses), but I know Smoky Mountain Stables gets great reviews and they actually take you into the national park.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
487 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Suggestions

Here is a link to the National Parks website detailing the hikes to the waterfalls and their difficulties.

www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/waterfalls.htm

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Suggestions

Walden Creek Stables is a great place to ride. Good luck.

Walden Creek Stables @ 2709 Waldens Creek Road, Sevierville, TN 865 - 429 - 0411.

http://www.waldencreekstables.com/

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Suggestions

We will be there too during Thanksgiving! We plan to drives Cades Cove this trip since it's been a while since we were there. I also hope to visit Clingmans Dome if it's still open then.

Rayne, Louisiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Suggestions

Thank you all for the help. I'll be looking into all of this.

9. Re: Need Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Gatlinburg