We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Village North?

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet Village North?

Has anyone stayed in Chalet Village North? It is located right by the Gatlinburg Welcome Center on The Spur...off of Wiley Oakley Rd...I am considering a cabin in this area, but have never traveled along those roads behind the Welcome Center...any thoughts? Going in the Fall, so shouldn't be any worries over snow...just hate really steep drives. Thanks for the help!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Village North?

I'm not sure Dep, but wanted to move this back up for you. ;)

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Village North?

Haha...thanks Vee! =)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Village North?

Deputy, we have stayed up there, and even when we don't, we use Wiley Oakley (the turn off from the spur by the Welcome Center) as a bypass to Ski Mtn Rd.

The roads are narrow and steep in places. As soon as you begin up the hill past the Welcome Center parking lot (which is also a trolley pick up area), there is one really steep hill, but thats about the worst of it. I guess it all depends what you call "steep". The first time we took that road was about 11pm, and we were in a full size van, and I was petrified. Now we drive it like "locals". lol I guess I would describe it as being more up and down and curvy with a steep place here and there. Great explanation, eh??? lol.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet Village North?

Haha...very helpful! lol Thanks though...I've stayed up in Sky Harbor and Settler's Ridge areas before, so am used to steep roads, but have heard 'horror' stories about Chalet Village. But considering this isn't the section of Chalet Village that is part of Ski Mtn Road, it may not be as bad as the 'horror' stories I've heard! =) Thanks for the help!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalet Village North?

deputy,

My family stayed in that very area at the end of June and I don't recall any really steep roads, nothing particularly scary. We've stayed in various areas around Gatlinburg and in Chalet Village and this was nothing steeper than the rest. In fact, I thought the roads were less steep than when we've stayed off Ski Mtn. Road and in the Pinnacle area off 321. I think you would be fine :)

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalet Village North?

vicky5...Thank you. I actually just finished taking a 'virtual' drive up Wiley Oakley Dr, and then up to the chalet location, and it wasn't bad at all. Not nearly as steep as some other roads I have driven. So if we decide on that chalet, we will be just fine driving up and down no problem! I love Google Street View! =) Thanks for the help

Mississippi
Level Contributor
466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalet Village North?

You're welcome :) I had forgotten about Google Street View! I will have to utilize that when we are looking for the next cabin or chalet. Hope you have a great trip. I'm planning a quick 3-night trip at the end of October and trying to decide where to stay myself.

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalet Village North?

We stayed in a cabin in that area (Wiley Oakley and Twin Oaks) last summer. I don't recall any real steep roads but they were very curvy. It didn't bother me much but there were several in our group that, although they did not get sick, felt the effects of motion sickness. We found that it was better to go up and down Ski Mountain Road than Wiley Oakley or Campbell lead. Other than that we enjoyed our stay very much. It was a nice area.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chalet Village North?

Well I just booked the chalet in Chalet Village North. The home although not a 'cabin' like we usually prefer, has an AMAZING view. It is just up from the Welcome Center, so very close to The Spur. Hopefully we can get past the home not being a true 'cabin' but a chalet. Our thoughts are that the view will make up for it. October can't get here soon enough. =)

Thanks to those you responded to my question about the road going up.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chalet Village North?

We have stayed about 10 minutes up from the visitors center on Wiley Oakley. Roads were pretty windey (sp?), but not any worse than anywhere else in the area! Hope you enjoy your trip, Dep!