We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

Looking on Homeaway for a cabin and ran across one I liked UNTIL I read the fine print. Besides the taxes, damage waiver fee, deposit etc. it listed a LINEN fee of $25 per bedroom and $10 per bathroom. This is outrageous! They show a good price but then they dollar you to death! I refuse to be taken on a rental by someone adding ridiculous fees!

Owners need to realize that money is tight in this economy and people are not going to rent from you when you do this.

TA posters if you feel the same way please post so the owners will see that we are too smart to be taken for a ride!

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

I also refuse to rent from people who charge extra fees. I'm ok with a cleaning fee if its not too much, but beyond that is ridiculous. I would prefer the nightly rates to just be higher. IMO its shady to add in the fees like that.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

The extra fees are just plain crazy! If they want extra money then they should increase the rental price. When renting, that is oneof the issues with the various cabin companies, is thinking you are gonna be paying one price, only to find out that you have other fees: reservation fee, hot tub fee, cleaning fee, security deposit, and now the 'newer' Insurance waiver fee.

I am going through vrbo for my trip in October, and have 'weeded out' the ones that charge all those extra fees. I think owners need to just include those so called 'fees' into the price per night....

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

When I am paying $150 -$200 night I EXPECT clean sheets and clean towels and I do NOT expect to have to pay more just to have them!

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

I'm an owner and I agree 100%. I would love to see all owners stick with a nightly rate plus tax.

Lisa

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

I also agree, I don't even have a cleaning fee.

room rate plus tax, period.

I am curious is the cabin you speak of by owner or by rental company.

vrbo and homeaway now allow rental companies to advertise on their sites.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

I'm also a cabin owner. It annoys me that some owners (and management companies) mislead guests with a low nightly rate but then tack on all sorts of fees. I'm glad that guests are getting savvy enough to look at the bottom line when comparing properties.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

I prefer a total fee per night. Don't nickle and dime me to death. I also can not stand the places that will rent you a 2 bedroom cabin but will charge you extra if you use the 2nd bedroom. To me, if you rent the cabin you are renting the ENTIRE CABIN. If my husband decides to snore up a storm and I have to go to another room, I don't want to pay extra for using the other bed. When I see places that do this, I just skip on over it.

I like it plain and simple, X amount per night plus tax for the CABIN and everything associated with the cabin. I don't, however, mind paying an extra pet fee if the cabin is pet friendly.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

This is how I quote:

xx days @ $X/night $_______

Cleaning fee $ (waived on stays of three or more nights)

Pet fee

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

Sorry, I hit the wrong button

xxdays @ $X/night $__________

Cleaning fee $ (wavied on stays of three or more nights)

Pet fee $ (if applicable)

Taxable Sub-total $___________

Tax @ 12.75% $___________

Total $___________

Looking for feedback...easy to understand? too much detail? any other suggestions?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Always read the fine print! Outrageous fees!

Traveler - I think that's great.