We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

First day here and we hiked up Laurel Falls Trail.......about 1/3 of the way down, we heard a something.....my husband and I stopped and listened......I didn't even look again, just started walking again after I heard it again. Looked back as we were walking and that it was about 30 ft. or so up from the trail. We didn't run, but walked quickly the rest of the way down. It was cool, but scary. The train wasn't very busy and of course there was no one else around when we saw it and where coming back. At the bottom, we talked to a couple that had also seen one, but further up. They passed Laurel Falls and went almost to the top. I never expected to see a bear along that trail. Granted it wasn't too busy. We started up about 4:20 and headed back down proably around 5:25ish.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

What a great experience. Sounded like your smart too and walked fast:)

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

Scary business! Pat yourself on the back for keeping your cool!

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
229 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

How cool! You are very lucky and even smarter being able to keep your head on straight! Great experience.

Norwood, OH
Level Contributor
423 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

You know everyone always wants to see a bear and I thought I did too, but considering some of the trails I've been on.....they were sometimes rather deserted and the thought of actually running into a bear scared the bejeezes out of me. Think I'd rather see one from a safe distance and probably from my car!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

I know what you mean. After that experience, I was too aftraid to go on any other trails. We were going to try to do Grotto Falls, but there was no parking. I know we probably wouldn't have seen another one on a trail, but the thought that we could made me too nervous. Silly, I know.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

We saw a bear while on the sky lift this week. looked over and there he was! cool knowing he couldnt get us that high. least i think lol

Norwood, OH
Level Contributor
423 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

We'll be down the first week of October, so I'm going to remember what I heard about all of the bear sightings. I'll probably annoy the heck out of my husband with worry :)

8. Re: saw a bear today coming down from Laurel Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 16:15