We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

I havent had it happen yet but you never know what may happen over 400 miles of traveling. The local towing company says leave your car key outside and if you wreck or breakdown he can load your other vehicle up and bring it to you at no added charge. Then you can carry on with your vacation without renting a car. (insurance company will usually pick up one tow a year). Anyone else have any input or stories that took place on the way to the Burg?

South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

in my experience with insurance company's and towing they only want to tow to the nearest place of repair and the rest is up to you to pay for... so if you were say 200 miles or so into your trip....you might end up having to pay for a good portion of the tow.....not sure if they would even pay for your car to be brought to you, if I am understanding your question right??

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

I just wanted to see what other TA members have done/would do in this situation and share their experience. The more you know about a situation before it happens the better prepared you will be to pick the right solution. I hope this doesnt happen to any of us but if it does maybe between the ideas shared here and a phone call or two we could make the most out of a bad day...and save the vacation!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

I would not leave a key outside period. Unless this towing company is run by a long time friend or family member, I would leave the key with a trusted family member or close neighbor. If you were to take their suggestion and leave a key out and a dishonest person found the key and stole your car, your insurance company may not pay the claim. I know if you leave keys in your car at the store and it's stolen, insurance will not cover it and this seems similar to me. I have rental coverage and if something happened and no one was hurt, we would just get a rental and carry on.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

Never heard of a towing company bringing you your other car.

Roadside assistance through your insurance or AAA will of course get you and your vehicle to the nearest service center.

I always get the car serviced before long distance travel. Makes me feel better. I carry along some simple tools, a flashlight, and duct tape. Make sure the spare tire is properly inflated.

Still, anything can happen. But I'll feel better about it if it couldn't have been foreseen or prevented.

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

The towing company owner (great guy) said that he has to get to the wreck/breakdown from here...either loaded or unloaded will be the same price.

We always do the same D.C. service,wash, and like you said, defiantly check the spare and all the tools.

Let me share this story with you. In '97 I bought a new truck with an off road package installed by the factory. Well, one night my wife and I ran over a storm door that had blowed out of someone else's truck. It tore a hole in my left rear tire and kinked the emerg. break line causing them to stay locked. We pulled over on a side road because I will not change a flat on the HWY. I got all the NEW jack equipment out and it would not raise the truck high enough to get the wheel off the ground! Luckily a lady stopped that lived up the road and offered help. We got it changed and had to press the emerg brake until the cable snapped. So my lesson from this was when we trade vehicles...I will change the tire at the house and make sure everything will work. I also buy a four way lug wrench to bust those impacted lugs off that the service center put on too tight.

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

Wow I'd imagine it would be pretty pricey for a local tow company to come all the way to Gatlingburg or heck even 50 miles away from our house. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to have it towed to the nearest service center where you break down at and rent a car for the trip then pick the other car back up on your way home. And our AAA only pays for the first 3-4 miles.

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

This is something i always worry about. I have a home in Sevierville And I often travel there with just my daughter and worry if something ever happened. I have AAA platinum. And they will take your car I believe it's 200-250 miles on tow. My two homes are about 580 miles apart so I feel a little better knowing odds are I could get my car pretty close to where I'm going or the very least have the bill cut in half. I worry more about breaking down on 40 with no cell service. But I agree it's always best to be prepared.

Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

We were coming back from picking our son up at Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama the Friday before Father's Day, two years ago. We were about 20 miles north of Chattanooga. A sudden thunderstorm made the roads slippery, and a car hydroplaned and shot in front of us so we collided front to front, and while we were braking as soon as we saw them, another car whammed us in the rear end, so they had us coming and going. The damage up front was not too bad, but the right rear wheel was buckled under. I had OnStar on the phone almost before all vehicles had stopped moving. We were also lucky there was an off-duty police officer 3 or 4 cars behind us, so he was able to get traffic stopped and the state police called. There were several other accidents due to the rain, and since luckily no one was hurt in our wreck, we got the lowest priority on the tow truck. The tow truck finally came after nearly 2 hours and for I think, $75 - towed us back to a Chevy dealership with a body shop in Chattanooga. The dealership was closed for the day by the time we got there - the tow truck driver was nice enough to wait until we filled out the paperwork and left the car keys in the after hours drop box - then gave us a ride over to the airport in Chattanooga where we got a rental car. We took the rental car on into Pigeon Forge - several hours late, but we still enjoyed our Father's Day trip. We took the rental on home to West Virginia and turned it back in. Two weeks later when we returned to Chattanooga for our car, we got the same rental car, just by chance and returned it to its home at the airport. The insurances from the two people that hit us took care of 90% of our expenses incurred including time missed at work returning for the car. Long story short - no amount of car maintenance or preparation would have made any difference this time - sometimes its just your time to be in a wreck. I can't say enough good things about OnStar - I hope I never own another car that does not have it - it is well worth the money.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

I absolutely get the heebie jeebies driving around Chatanooga! It seems everyone who has passed me after leaving Baton Rouge, gets to Chatanooga and waits for me so we can ALL go around at the same time. I always dread it! I am a big believer in AAA--Premier, and always need to find a Rest Stop after making it safely through Chatanooga, going and coming!

Carol

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wreck/breakdown on the way What did you do?

The timing has to be just right when hitting Chattanooga. We sometimes stay over in Gadsden or nearby on a Friday night so we can get through there just after daybreak the following Saturday morning. With the twists and turns, numerous entrances and exits, slow moving 18 wheelers as opposed to the the faster vehicles doing quick lane changes, it can be a terrific pain. Thank goodness they have made improvements to the north of the city. It was crazy with the construction going on. Been through there in a driving rain storm with orange barrels and lane shifts,..it was nuts.

We always stop for gas just before there in Rising Fawn, GA., at the Pilot. It's like the calm before the storm :-).