We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

Dayton, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

I need a sanity check. My family had a miserable stay in Gatlinburg last week.

We had no water (for one day), no internet, no phone, no cable. They gave us compensation for one night and the internet (it wasn't setup). They won't give us refund for two days we didn't use (we left early).

The manager said "they did everything that they could."

I do think I am justified in requesting compensation for a cabin without

advertised amenities. I also feel it's reasonable to ask for

compensation for the night without water (this was not a city issue

but a property management issue - we were told that no one predicted

high water usage over the night). i also feel it's reasonable for us

to leave and expect a refund for nights we did not stay.

My family and I checked in and found there was no cable. In fact, the wires were everywhere and I had to reconnect them. No internet, no phone. We reported it and did not receive a reply until the next day. At which time, we were told it was fixed. We called back when it was not AND was told that the cabin NEVER had cable. To their credit, after much fussing, they offered compensation and to move us to a cabin across town with lesser views but we would not be able to move. For those with kids and vacation plans, imagine the headache of uprooting 3 kids in the middle of day (cabin is not available until after 12pm) and moving them across town. Basically ruins a full day. We reported other concerns but they were never fixed (or logged). By the way, we ended up requesting a new cabin and none were available.

To add insult to injury, that night, the water goes out. We called front desk, emergency/night line, etc. No response. We go to the clubhouse at 9:00am (supposed to open) and no one was there until 0920 (person dropping off paperwork but knew why water was out (well went dry).

At 1300, after speaking to another manager (Matt), we were told they would reimburse us for that night. Water was still out when we checked out (two nights early). We handed employee a list of "To-do's" and grievances but manager never received it. Manager said she never got it. We were told manager would call us back.

Four days later, I call. Ashley said there were no tickets for items I reported. She never received my list. She also said I would not receive a refund for nights that we did not stay.

So, to be fair, they did try to rectify "some" of the issues. I think it's totally reasonable to leave at this point with so many things going wrong and three small children. The employees also agreed that they would have too. I do not think it's unreasonable to request a refund for a cabin lacking internet, cable, phone, AND WATER. The water is well water and NOT municipal water.

The manager claims this rarely happens. I think a true measure of a company and their customer service is how they happen situations that rarely happen.

On a side note: They never explained why the water was out other than "maybe someone left the faucet on too long". I can tell you, that with that many cabins, they should have had much better reserve capacity than that (to regulations, a faucet would drain at full pressure about 4000 gallons of water in 24 hours). It surprises me there were no level alarms, float valves, or someone checking gauges.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

One measure of satisfaction would be to publish the cabin rental agent/ or company name and make sure other potential rental customers are aware of the leval of non-service they too could expect. A empty cabin may loosen their pursestrings to fix all the problems.

Ray

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

I would not be happy but I also read their rental agreement. They specifically state no refunds and have a list of things that may go wrong. Water (and satellite TV, electricity and appliances) is listed which would have been a red flag to me. How often does that happen that they list water outage in the rental agreement? I would have probably moved when they offered another cabin. Even if it wasn't new, it was probably comparable to what you rented. A new cabin would not guarantee water, internet or cable, so I guess I don't understand why a replacement cabin had to be new. The followup customer service stinks but they probably think that they offered you another cabin and you refused, so they did their part. I wish people would really read the rental agreement and know what they are signing up for. Sure you don't expect any problems but don't sign away your options by agreeing to something you would have a problem with. I recently looked at a beautiful cabin with lots of amenities. I was ready to rent until I read the online rental agreement. It said that as long as they considered the cabin to be "habitable" there would be no refunds. I decided that would not really be an option for me because the reason I chose the cabin was because of the amenities it offered. If I wanted to just be "habitable" I would have went camping and saved a lot of money. How did you pay? You could try filing a dispute with your credit card company, but truthfully when the rental company produces the rental agreement and tells them they offered you another cabin, the credit card company will probably end up charging it back to you.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

We had the water go out one time. There was an issue with the pump. They restored water in 4-6 hours if I recall correctly.

I would have made the move to the cabin offered most likely.

I try to stick with companies that have worked well for us in the past. I think you can develop some clout with them if you are the type of customer who makes every effort to stay with them consistently.

"Habitable" is a pretty broad definition S&S. Camping is the first thing that comes to mind with that term for me also. Heck, some might call a refrigerator box "Habitable".

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

Yes, I know Dawg. That term thru up a red flag to me big time. Upon a little more investigation, I found out it was a new company opened by some people who have an extremely problematic past at another rental company. I quickly moved my search elsewhere.

5. Re: Sanity Check - Cabins of Smoky Mountains - Should I be mad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:17