We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from our trip!

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Back from our trip!

I'm so glad we decided to go back down in the fall, beautiful! We arrived on Sunday and stayed at Days Inn at the end of the parkway for 2 nights. Nothing fancy but held us over before our condo stay. But I will never ever stay in a hotel with 3 kids again! My 14 month old was so hard to get to sleep with his crazy brothers running around. lol

Monday we drove to Clingmans Dome. We didn't do this last time and I'm glad we did on this trip, I don't know what to say other then WOW! My 11 year old and me with my 14 month old strapped to my back attempted to go to the tower. Ya that didn't happen to hard f a climb with a baby on your back. But the view from the parking lot was good enough for me. We also saw 2 bears while up there. And on the way back down we saw a momma and 2 cubs in a tree right next to the road. When we got back to Days Inn we were walking through the parking garage and came put from behind a van and bam bear 10 ft away in the garage. I think. Said some not to pretty words and rushed my husband and kids off into the elevator while I stayed a nice distance away and snapped some pictures. We also hit the parkway up that evening which of course the kids always led and had to stop at Killians (I think that's the name) for some ice cream.

Tuesday we checked out of the hotel and drove over to see the train museum in Townsend. Even though it was small my 3 year old loved it. They also had fun playing fetch with Zeke the dog there. After that we drove out to Cades Cove. This was the 1st time we drove out there in the middle of the day and it lives up to the car jams I hear about. But we did see a bear there!

After Cades Cove we headed up to our condo at Gatlngburg Summit condos. We stayed in a VRBO unit 5302. It was a nice 3 bedroom unit. A huge difference from that tiny hotel room. We did have one snag when we arrived, it was not cleaned from the previous renters. I called the owner and he got it taken care of quick. We did have to leave for about 2 hrs while it was being cleaned. T wasn't a huge deal but would have been had we made the 9 HR drive that day.

Wednesday we stayed around the Condo and then drove down Roaring Fork motor trail. We also had a few picnics during the week at the little park near the entrance to RF. No best sightings any f the times we drove around Roaring Fork. But I did get some god Sunset pictures!

Thursday we drove over to Cherokee to their Bear zoo there. I know some people don't like this but the kids loved it! For $1 you buy a plate of food and throw it to the bears while they do little tricks for you. We ended up getting 6 plates. If you ask my 3 year old his favorite part of that and it was the goats. lol

Friday we hung out on the parkway again and had one last picnic at the park.

Oh and one night we also had Calhouns which I love! We ordered it to go when we were staying at the hotel. The ended up messing my order up so I had to go back. When I got there they had a bottle of BBQ sauce waiting for me for the troubles!

All in all it was a fantastic trip and the kids are already asking when we can go back.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from our trip!

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Heading to the Smokeys on Tuesday, my first trip - can't wait.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from our trip!

I'm so glad you and your children had a great time. Oct and Nov are, IMO, the best time of year to go. We'll be headed up that way this coming Nov 5th, and I'm so excited. By the way, I thouroughly enjoyed the railroad museum in Townsend, too.

Ray

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from our trip!

I loved your TR and I can't believe all the bear sightings!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
426 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from our trip!

We are leaving on the 25th. Those bear sightings around town are freaking me out! We usually walk from our room to the Parkway & it is on the back streets. It is near Roaring Fork motor trail. Now I will be worried about running into a bear.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from our trip!

love your trip report we just got back a few weeks ago and I have already booked another trip for Nov.18th. I can't wait.

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from our trip!

Sorry for all the typos I was posting from my iPad and trying to hurry before it died. lol

We ended up seeing a total of 15 bears this trip! It was awesome. And of course tons of deer and turkeys.

7. Re: Back from our trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:18