We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

On day two, we were up very early to get to Cades Cove when the gate opened at sunrise. We saw around 50 deer, many turkeys, and a bear up a tree. As always, the cove was beautiful and peaceful since there was not a lot of traffic in the early morning hours. The trees in Cades Cove were pretty but the colors were prettier in the high elevations. After our visit to Cades Cove, we went back to our hotel in Gatlinburg and took the trolley downtown. I love coffee and wanted to go to the Village to buy Southern Pecan and Almond Joy Coffee at Coffee & Co. to bring home. Next, we visited Old Smoky Distillery in Moonshine Holler and then I wanted to try a Smoked Sausage Sub with Peppers and Onions at Fannie Farkle's. The subs were the best I have ever eaten. Then back to the hotel and a trip to Roaring Fork. We hiked Grotto Falls and got to see the llamas coming back from Mt. Leconte. We spent the rest of our night enjoying some of my coffee form Coffee & Co. and listening to the stream overlooking our private balcony at the hotel.

On Tuesday, we had a great breakfast at Mountain Lodge Restaurant and then went to spend some time in the Greenbrier section of the GSMNP. After Greenbrier, we went to see the Emerts Cove Covered Bridge and made a visit to Carver's Apple Orchard in Cosby for green tomatoes, Granny Smith Apples, homemade sourdough bread and candies.

On Wednesday morning, the weather was a little foggy so we decided to spend the morning shopping In Pigeon Forge and then went to Clingman's Dome in the afternoon. The view from the Observation Tower was breathtaking and looked as if cotton balls were floating below the mountain peaks. The trees in the GSMNP were very beautiful.

On Thursday morning, we packed up , left the hotel, and went back to Cherokee through the GSMNP to get one last look at the beautiful fall colors. Stopped at the visitor center to see the elk again and to Peter's Pancake & Waffles for our last Smoky Mountain breakfast. Next, we got on the BRP and rode it to Hendersonville NC and continued our trip home. I am already missing the Smokies so much. We had a great vacation .

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

Sounds like you had a great trip. We are going back Nov.18th just for the weekend (because of work). We are planning a trip to Dollywood as we always do for the Christmas season. I too miss the mountains so bad when we have to leave. But I have already booked my cabin for June. But I'm sure I will be back in April for our spring break. We love to camp but I just don't know if I could get any sleep for thinking about bears around my tent. but I'm sure it would be fun to try.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

I really enjoyed reading about your trip. It sounds as if you made the most of your short time there, and I can sense the appreciation you have for the area. You have convinced me that we need to take the drive to Carver's, because we want some apples and that sourdough bread of which you speak :-).

Hagerhill, I used to tent quite often when I was younger, around much more aggressive bears than the black ones in the Smoky Mountains. Never had a bear approach a tent because we kept strict food discipline, and kept it all in the vehicle, well away from the tent area, or tied up high out of reach. If it were that dangerous, no one would be camping, and you would read weekly reports of bears tearing up tents and mauling campers in the GSMNP. Rangers even patrol the campgrounds, and there are severe fines for folks who leave coolers unattended.

Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

dawgcentral is right about the strict regulations enforced by the GSMNP Rangers. They patrol the campground sights frequently and you must keep all food locked in your vehicle . I love camping for one night in the park but also can go only so many hours without a shower. There are several campgrounds around Cherokee that have bathhouses but the campgrounds in the GSMNP are the cleanest and most beautiful. Also, Smokemont is a quiet campground and I fell safe camping there in cooler weather. However, I would not want to camp in warm weather because I fear snakes more than bears..

Haubstadt IN
Level Contributor
336 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

5. Re: Trip Report 10/8/11 - 10/13/11 Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 00:17