We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TR for 10-21 to 10-23

We left michigan on 10-20 and got into Gatlinburg around midnight. We stayed at the Sleep Inn on east parkway. The hotel staff was very nice and the rooms were very clean. The beds were so comfy and they gave you lots of pillows which i love. i would recommed this hotel to people going there. It is a little ways from downtown but there is a trolley stop right out front of the hotel.

Oct 21st

We got up that morning and had breakfast at the hotel then we headed out to go to Cades Cove. i have never been there and couldnt wait to see it. Loved driving the mountain roads and the colors were so pretty. we got to the cove and started on the loop road stopping at the different stops and taking our time walking around and taking pics. we seen alot of deer and some turkeys, but no bears. It was very crowded and took us all dayto go thru but well worth it. after we drove back at went into pigeon forge for dinner at golden corral, and then went to the old mill district to look around. we then headed back to gatlinburg and parked the car. we went up town to do some shopping. We went to the moonshine hollar and I tried the moonshine. I tried the hunch punch and apple pie. loved both of those then i tried the white lighting and about died. that stuff is so strong and burned the whole way down.

oct 22nd

Got up and had breakfast again then headed out to go to Clingmans dome. it was very crowded going up there and there was snow and ice along the sides of the roads. kinda cool to see snow up there. me and my mom made a good attempt to walk up the trail but got about half way up and couldnt do it no more. We can at least say we tried through. Alot of the trees were already dead up there but the view was still nice though. we headed down and went to the mexican place in gatlinburg for late lunch/early dinner. I loved there salsa there. we then went back into piegon forge to look around some more. i went mining for gems and got one of everykind. kinda fun to do. i then went to take pics of the wonderworks and titanic. we then went back to gatlinburg and went back uptown. we played mini golf at the lost treasures and then did somemore shopping.

oct 23rd

we got up early and had to head home. The colors were so pretty down there and will defintely go back next year. it was very crowded too but not to bad.

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Thank you for your trip report..... short, but good trip. Cades Cove is always so beautiful and enjoyable. As for Clingman's Dome, I've never made myself do the "upward" hike, but we plan on taking a 15 month in November (weather permitting). It's been years, but I remember that "white lightning" burn!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Thanks for the trip report! We get so few anymore.

It sounds like you had a good, quick trip. It's funny; as many times as we've passed Clingman's Dome shuttling between Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg, we've never stopped to visit it. Maybe next time.

Thanks again!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

The dreaded Clingman's Dome hike. I remember it well. The view from the parking lot makes the trip worthwhile but if you ever get the chance to try it again to make it to the observation tower, do it. It is so worthwhile. You are in a different world up there, views for miles (I think I read that on a clear day, you can see 7 different states), the air is so clean, so fresh, just aboslutely amazing! Glad you had a great trip!

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Great trip report. Thanks. I also remember that walk on up to the top of Clingman's Dome. We used the benches a lot. That was about 10 years ago and we haven't done it again. We just took our time to get up there but it was well worth it and it was a clear day. I had open heart surgery this past May so I won't try it on my next trip this weekend but maybe next year.

Brad, you and your lovely family should stop and take that walk on up. I bet you all would like it.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Thanks, ky3ma, I think we might try it next spring!

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

That's good Brad because I really think you all would like it.

Belleville, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Nice report! We went a few weeks ago and my 11 year old and me with my 14 month old strapped to my back tried it. Yeah I think we made it a 1/8 of the way up and turned around. My son said it looked like his brother was going to fall over me I was so hunched over trying to walk up it. lol

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

Thanks for your TR. Gatlinburg is a great destination. Come back again soon. Good luck.

9. Re: TR for 10-21 to 10-23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 17:18