We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

I was reading Mctravelers' GREAT trip reports and was thinking about having lunch at Carver's Applehouse Restaurant while we're in Gatlinburg over New Year's. Is this a bad drive in the winter? Is there anything else to do in the area? I looked at the Cosby forum but it's pretty bare!

Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

The drive on 321 to Cosby is not bad at all, but it's always a longer trip than I remember it being. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not much to do there. Cosby is more of an opportunity to get away from the huslte & bustle.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

Thanks, all I can find is whitewater rafting and I'm saying heck to the no to whitewater in early January!

Hubby used to be an avid hiker but can no longer do the tougher trails due to a double hip replacement. We can still do the easy stuff although I'm not so keen on hiking, especially if it's FREEZING out! Are there any nice drives in the area? Unfortunately we'll be visiting in our 2001 Toyota Camry so anything too adventurous is probably not going to work.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

321 out of GB, good 2 lane road.

About 11 miles to Cobbly Nob, then another 10-11 miles to Carvers on the right.

40 minutes about.

louisiana
Level Contributor
554 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

Don't know about the roads at that time of the year but we went there at the end of October from Wears Valley and loved the drive. The Carvers applehouse restaurant is a must. The setting is beautiful, the food wonderful and you can buy some goodies next door. I don't think you will be sorry you made the drive.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

After you leave G'burg, you will pass both of the main roads into the Arts & Crafts area. This would make a great coffee and shopping stop on your way back from Carvers. The breakfast there is our favorite. We always bring back a lot of apples for friends and relatives, and buy fresh produce when in season. A few miles past Carvers will bring you to Newport. We shop this WalMart, drug stores and especially Goodys. They have a great Senior Day--can't remember if it is Tuesday or Wednesday--but you can use your card the day you apply. Similar to our "Stage" stores. They have great sales! If the weather is good, you could go on from Cosby to Catalooche to see the Elk.

Have a great trip!

Carol/parish next to you and Grumpyswife!!

6. Re: Gatlinburg to Cosby, Tennessee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:19