We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
492 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

This is more of a comment than a question. I see many people replying to posts just because they love Gatlinburg and what it and the GSMNP has to offer. I love reading trip reports, people's upcoming trips, and reviews and or suggestions on what should be down while vacationing.

This is a forum I visit many times a day just to see if there is any new content to view or reply too. It is nice knowing there is more than just me that think the same way.

Counting the days till I am there for a week and half at the end of March.

Belleville
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

There are quite a few of us out there and i think we all have gotten some wonderful suggestions from one another. You are not alone and bring on the reviews!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

Yeah, you're not the only one by a long shot! Welcome to the peanut gallery!

Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

I guess you could classify me as a freak too! We have been coming to Gatlinburg for many years. I try to check out the forum almost everday. I've learned so much over the years from many of you. I also love to read trip reports. Some of them are so entertaining!

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

I'm with you guys too!

I would also like to compliment our frequent posters and DE's. This cities forum is one of the best, most everyone on here is friendly and gives great advise. I know this is a forum of opinions and I think everyone on here respects others. We may not all agree with each other but that's what an opinion is. I think everyone here does a good job speaking thier opinion without bashing others and upholding the standards of what kind of people GSM attract.

We all agree on one thing and that's the Great Smokey Mountains and area is an amazing place to be!

Tam

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

This is probably one of the most informative TA forums. I've inquired in other forums trying to get information and they never really compare in terms of outright friendliness from such a large number of folks. And the great thing is you arrive in the mountains to find the same hospitality.

My wife and I had the pleasure of actually meeting up with some folks this fall who participate in these forums. Without going into too much detail, these are some of the most engaging and friendly people you can imagine. From all walks of life, and differing areas of the nation. While we knew we had a distinct love of the area in common, to me it's was like I had known these people for quite the long time. It was more like a family reunion than a gathering of strangers.

Ever smile so much your face hurts? Can't wait to do it again.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

My family started coming here in the 60's and like so many, fell in love with the area. Except for a few trips out of the country over the years we've returned here at least once per hear every since. About 6 years ago we began making plans to retire here and now wake up everyday to a view of cove mountain and simply love it.

Others who already posted have said it but the one thing that makes the area so different is that, except for the occasional traffic mess, everyone you run into here seems to be in a great mood and is so happy to be here. I realize everyone has their own set of lifes problems but while here almost everyone is quickly able to shelve them for a few days and enjoy themselves. The mountains and other attractions have a calming influence on folks and e everyone is able to enjoy themselves.

As for this board, as a DE I attempt to monitor it pretty close to see if I can add value to a discussion or help someone seeking advice on the area. But more often than not I find that many if you have already jumped in and offered great advice, often far better than I could. So yes, I agree that this board (and the other 2 or 3 related such as PF, S'ville and GSMNP) are amazing. Very good people all attempting to help others make the most of their experience and therefore ensuring they too enjoy themselves while in the area. You folks are some of the most helpful and most inviting spokepeople an area could hope for.

As I find that others have helped someone with information they were seeking, I often move on to the next post without attempting to simply reiterating what's already been said. Other times you guys/gals have answered the question far better than I could.

So thanks for making this board one of the best on Trip Advisor and I hope you all have a wonderfully Merry Christmas.

See you next time,

Chris

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

Welcome to the group Ryan. At one time or other, or in some cases, many times, some of us have come in here seeking advice on cabins or motels in the area to stay at, restaurants to frequent or avoid. This is what we are here for. Soon you'll be spooning out advice to newcomers. All of us in here share a common love and a bond of the G.S.M.N.P. And in time we all will seem like an "extended family". They already do to me.

Ray

Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

Very well said Ray.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
481 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

We've been coming to Gatlinburg & the area for 44 years & never get tired of coming!

I'm fairly new to this board, but have found it to be very informative. No flaming of other posters & other rude behaviors, which is very nice. I, too like to check it almost everyday!

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
563 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am glad I am not the only Gatlinburg freak out there...

First trip to the area was when I was a kid, maybe 25+ years back? Only remember a little bit. Went back to the area in 2005 on a vacation which included a repeat of sorts of the trip I took as a kid (visit to Mammoth Cave, Chattanooga, and Gatlinburg). Only had two or three days in Gatlinburg, so a return trip was a must. Got back there in 2007, but made it a short trip due to a longer vacation already planned that same year.

After reading this forum off and on for many years, I know that the wife and I really need at least a good week to set aside and get to see everything. I have learned a lot from this forum and have a huge bookmark list of places to possibly eat, places to shop, etc.. There is so much in the area that I can't wait to go back and finally see most of it. I need to check out Ski Mountain Rd., never have been down there but read stuff about shops along that road. Need to drive the roaring fork motor trail in the park. Need to checkout the Townsend area. Might check out Dollywood.

We always stay in Gatlinburg, and now that funds are available, we will definitely been staying on the main drag if we go back. Like the bear in the commercials says, if your going to go to the mountains why not stay in the mountains. We also haven't really had much traffic issues either, maybe due to the days/time we arrive and depart. We will definitely be visiting in the fall time the next time we are able to visit.

Tennessee sure has some awesome places to visit. I myself prefer the mountains, and I really like the Chattanooga and E. Tenn. area. Thankfully we only live six-seven hours drive time away. I could see myself retiring to this area in the future.