We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midtown Lodge

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Topic
Midtown Lodge

I'm sure by now everyone knows about the Midtown Lodge closing. Here's an update.

themountainpress.com/view/…

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midtown Lodge

Progress.......inevitable yes, but the Gatlinburg that was once was is suffering now from a lack of tradition.....the flurry of purse and martial arts stores has warranted a sacrifice of a timeless icon; even if you had never stayed there, you will have a feeling of a loss to the place we all have grown to love.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midtown Lodge

I agree. Gatlinburg and like many vacation spots have traditions. It's ashamed to see these old traditions die and give way to disposible businesses.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midtown Lodge

So sad..... I have wonderful childhood memories here.

I wish I had the $$ to restore it.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Midtown Lodge

what is even worse will be to see part of it turn into a parking lot

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midtown Lodge

I went in there out of curiosity in the fall, wanting to find out what the developers had in mind. The guy behind the counter seemed very unsure, but then he mentioned something about the Moonshine people, whatever that means.

Went back over there right after Christmas. It was depressing to see all the closed and empty shops underneath. The place was unique, and I'm sad to see it go.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midtown Lodge

themountainpress.com/view/…

Mississippi
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Midtown Lodge

I agree. This place has lost it's family character. With all of the bars and now the "adult theme store", it seems that families are not wanted in the town. Too many "COMMERCIAL" businesses have moved in. The place we loved for its character has been lost. I dont think we will ever see it the same again.

Illinois
Level Contributor
217 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midtown Lodge

Folks...I bet I'm older than most of you and have I've been to Gburg as much as anyone on here that doesn't live there full-time. The changes I've seen over the years: The Mountain Mall; The Village; Regan Terrace Mall; Rebuild of the entire block after Ripley's burned down, The Aquarium, etc. Gburg has always been changing and will always be changing and that's not a bad thing. Seriously, can anyone say that building The Village or the Aquarium was a bad thing?

Truthfully, Midtown Lodge was in serious need of refurbishing. That's putting it kindly. There are many other hotels on the stip that need to be torn down or completely gutted. I personally believe it's a good thing to address these places even though many of us feel like it's changing the place we love just a bit too much. But it's better than having a place become so bad that people don't want to come back there.

Also keep in mind that all these stores selling the purses (and other items we have little interest in) must be selling that stuff to someone or they would soon be out of business due to the high cost of leasing those locations.

As to the "adult theme store" -- keep in mind that Gburg is the honeymoon capital of the South. What goes better with the idea of a honeymoon than an adult theme store? I for one am glad to see that store go in...especially considering the quality of the store. As to the "bars" in Gburg -- I don't think there is one single "bar" in town. Even Hogs and Honeys serves food. And Hogs and Honeys would be the closest thing to a full-fledged bar in town (except for that place up Regan Drive perhaps). On many nights there might be as many as 20 or 30 thousand people in Gburg many wanting to sit and enjoy a beer or cocktail. I for one would like to see a couple of more bars go into business rather than more T-shirt stores.

We have to look at Gburg and what it offers to visitors from the perspective of many different people. Remember when there were phone booths about every two blocks in Gburg? Cell phones did away with the need for them. Think about the different stores that are operating in The Village today verses 10 years ago. Owners of shops get sick, die, go out of business, or simply retire and the next owner may do something completely different than the owner before them. It's always happened...and always will.

Gatlinburg is not the same as it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago, and certainly no where near what it was 40 years ago. And that's not a bad thing. In many respects...it's better.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midtown Lodge

I for one agree with Snakebites on this. I was in Gatlinburg on New Year's Day and it was the first time I had been there in several years. I used to think it was a sleepy little town with some tee shirt shops thrown in but what I saw I got excited about. It looked more like a exciting happening mountain village. I do hate to see this establishment close and become a parking lot but who knows 5 years from now someone might turn it into something.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midtown Lodge

I wonder if the commercial building has tenants yet? I don't think the article mentioned.