We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting Questions?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting Questions?

My DH and I plus about 6 other family members are planning a trip to Gatlinburg and the GSM NP in June 2012. Group includes 3 kids (2 10yr old boys & 8yr old girl). We want to do a whitewater raft trip on the Pigeon River (upper). Can I get some feed back on specific outfitters that people have used to do this? We've done research but would like people's specific recommendations.

Also has anyone rafted with a big group, we would be 8 people plus the guide? Does anyone know outfitters that have boats to accomodate a group this size? Most of the websites don't detail how big the boats are but most video's we've watched show 6 people and one guide. Thanks for your help.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

I can't remember for the life of me who we used (sorry) we've been twice with the same guide and company (a few years apart). They have outpost with a few different companies in the same area.

You do go 6 in a raft with one guide. Every company pretty much takes buses to the same drop off @ the dam and all the rafts I've ever seen do only 6 people per raft. There are people of all ages that go. Maybe you could split 4 and 4??

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

We used Great Smoky Mountain Outdoors and loved them!

http://www.smokymountainrafting.com/

Here's my trip report about our rafting adventure:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k12633…

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

I have used Smoky mountain rafting before and they did a good trip. I have used NOC the most. They have an outpost store in downtown Gatlinburg. They are one of the oldest companies doing rafting trips. They have a website. The typical raft holds 6 people plus a guide. They will typically split the 8 people party to 6 in one raft and then pair up the other 2 in a raft with others to have a full boat. I have met some neat people in the past this way. Have fun and enjoy

BSG
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

USA RAFT in hartford........you can also see my review on why.

Alexandria,AL
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

We used USA Raft this past May for the Upper Pigeon! Will use them again...fantastic rafting trip!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

Thanks for all your input everyone. We still haven't decided but it looks like we will have to do two boats if everyone wants to participate.

7. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 January 2012, 19:05
8. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 January 2012, 19:05
9. Re: Whitewater Rafting Questions?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:18