We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic update for March, 2006

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Topic
Traffic update for March, 2006

As I have stated, Rt 66 is a 'Bear' on Fridays going in and a bigger one on Sundays going out...this won't change and only get worse.

They're working on the bridge at Rt66 and 441/411 (Chapman Hwy ..the nasty intersection in Sevierville at the courthouse, Walgreens etc) and will cause major delays.

Currently, they are repairing potholes on the 'spur' between PF and GB and is reduced to a single lane.

Bottom line: if you're coming in on a Friday, stay clear of Exit 407 (Rt66) big time headache!

They're working hard on a new major 'by-pass' and should be done for 2007. New exit off I-40, by-passing Sevierville and giving you options for PF or GB. Major improvement!

The traffic issues are mostly Friday, Sat & Sunday..the weekdays are always busy, but no major back-ups. There are many options to avoid these. Any Chamber location has free Sevier County maps and they will be of great help...make sure it's a Chamber and not just a 'Welcome Center', as those are really 'Time Share' offices that will p--- you off and may dampen your retreat.

Happy Trails,

GBG

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

Thanks so much for your traffic updates.

Please keep them coming.

We are coming March 31st (Friday)..

I am thinking maybe it was a bad idea to let my daughter talk me into staying in Gatlinburg, rather than Alcoa, for the wedding in Maryville on April 1st...

So, you think 321 would be a best way in?

You mentioned that in another post. I am driving this time, rather than my husband, and it will be dark before we get there so hate to get lost.

Mississippi
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

There is also road work in Gatlinburg, they are working on the underground power lines. A block or two is only one lane. It's not too bad, we enjoy the drive on the strip. But if it's too backed up then we just hit River Road since we had to turn on Ski Mtn Road to get to our chalet. We were headed to Calhoun's on Saturday night (which of course will be some traffic on the weekend) so instead of going through town, we took the by-pass and turned back in to the end of Gatlinburg (since Calhoun's is at that end anyway), it did take a few minutes but we beat the traffic on the parkway by 10 minutes!

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

Powcat: Alway stay in G'burg when you get the chance...don't worry about the traffic!

Come in 321 to Waers valley Rd. (which will put you in Pig. Forge or go staight through the Park which puts you in G'Burg) I do it all the time and no big deal.

The street work in G'burg will end April 30th or major fines will be imposed. It's not really an issue for those who want to enjoy the City, but if you're on your way to NC and have time restraints, it will cost you 10-15 minutes. There's routes thru town to avoid it all...secret pathways.

GBG

Linden MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

gburggal that exit 407 you mention, is that the exit you turn off highway 40 and turn right on rt66 and head south? also in Knoxville if I was to take 275 to 441 into s

Sevierville would that way to go?

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

Hmmm..secret pathways...I need to find out about all of them. Is there a local map, besides the one we get in the brochure, that show all those little secrets? And how would I get one?

I am still looking into hotels in Gatlinburg.

Don't want to spend a fortune this trip and all seem to be upwards of 90-100 for that Fri and Saturday nights. But, am still looking.

We have taken 321 from PF before but my hubby was driving and I was not paying much attention to when and where we turned. Am sure it will be ok even in the dark..after all, I use to drive, without my hubby, 17 hours to my sister/moms in Florida with 4 little kids in the car...everyone did think I was nuts, including him..

So, coming from the north then which exit is it that would take me to 321? I think I remember him taking 40 to I-75 for a really short distance and then getting onto 321. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

We almost always take exit 407 off of 40 but this does not seem to be the best choice from your info this time around.

Linden MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

O-K now i'm really lost,(looking at the map)should I take the blue road to the red road?

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

gburggal, We are coming up next weekend for 10 days and are staying at DeerRidge. How many traffic issues are we going to have traveling to Gatlinburg,Pigeon Forge, Sevierville?? are there alternate routes that might be better for us to take. My husband is a professional tractor trailer driver and great with directions if you have any back ways LOL. Thank you so much for posting up about the different traffic issues. It is much appreciated!!!!!!

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

Hey Guys:

This only applies to Friday, Sat. Sun at this point. If you're coming in from the North (I-75) I suggest: when coming into Knoxville, follow signs to Nashville/Airport, that will take you around the beltway and get off at Pillissippi Parkway (Airport) Rt 129. Go thru Alcoa, Maryville and follow signs to Townsend. In Towsend, go left at the only stop light there at Wears Valley Rd...this will put you in Pigeon Forge.

If you're coming North on I-75 get-off at the Maryville exit and follow same instructions above.

South I-81 , take I-40 East towards Ashville. (I-40 West people the following applies) Take the exit For Rt 321 Gatlinburg, this will bring you in the 'back-way to Light #3, in G'burg.

Happy Trails,

GBG

Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

I am coming in from Atlanta. The directions take me from 23N to 441N. I am staying in Pigeon Forge. If arriving on a Saturday, is that a smart route?

Dayton,Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic update for March, 2006

What is the best way coming I-75 south from Ohio?Can anyone help?