We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Danville, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Gatlinburg and Alcohol

I'll be vacationing to Gatlinburg in March. My friends and I were told that PF was a dry town but Gatlinburg was not. and i see alot of people saying to "bring your own" Isn't that Bootlegging? or is that only with the Moonshine? And what is the legal way to transport alcohol in Tennessee?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
473 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

There are stores in Gatlinburg that sell liquor if you need to buy some. Most restaurants sell beer & mixed drinks. Pigeon Forge sell beer & wine in some of their restaurants, but no hard stuff.

Gatlinburg has a "Moonshine" Distillarey, which is a legal business. You would transport liquor just like you would anywhere else. No open containers in vehicles. One can take alcohol to your hotel room or cabin, no one is going to search your car looking for bottles of liquor.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Gatlinburg is not a dry town. Alcohol is sold in the bars, restaurants, and in stores. Pigeon Forge is considered 'dry' meaning no bars, and the restaurants can only sell beer, and wine. No hard liquor. There are wineries in PF as well. As for Seveirviile, I believe there are a few small pubs, bars that sell beer and wine, and I have heard that they are b.o.b. if you want hard stuff, but am not 100% certain on this. We always go out to the bars in Galtinburg while in town.

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Wasnt too long ago I was hammered (on Moonshine) in downtown Gatlinburg. I only brought cash. I dont know about PF, but I vaguely remember when I was younger and living in Sevierville that we were able to get hard liquor at gas stations. I miss the good ol days.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 17:46
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
473 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

When we started going to Gatlinburg in 1967, you were allowed to BYOB at the restaurants. The restaurants sold you the mixers to make your drinks. They did serve bottled beer. The populace voted to allow liquor in the early 70's.

I love those Moonshine cherries that are sold at the Moonshine place.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

I'm not too sure about buying liquor, wine or beer in Pigeon Forge. I've never tryed buying it there, There's a liquor store just after you enter Gat/burg on your left side of the road. And on several occasions, depending on the weather, I've taken beer packed in an ice cooler inside the park and liesurly enjoyed a cold one along with some hot dogs or burgers grilled at Metcalf bottoms picnic area. I really don't think anybody would complain about the beer, as long as you compose yourself and act dignifyed.

Ray

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Gatlinburg and Severville are not dry but in PF you can only get beer and wine in some restaurants.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
503 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Gatlinburg-Liquor stores open until 11pm Monday-Saturday

Mixed drinks in restaurants and bars. Beer can be purchased 7 days a week (after noon on Sunday).

Pigeon Forge-Beer and Wine in restaurants- No liquor

Sevierville-liquor by the drink in bars and restaurants-no liquor stores

Beer on stores Monday-Saturday-no Beer sold on Sunday

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

Gatlinburg is not dry. One thing I will say about drinking in Gatlinburg is to watch out. We have been there several times but when we where there in Oct. 2010 we where walking the main street at about 10 at night. With in 2 blocks we say the bike police stop and arrest 2 men for public drunkenness. Neither one of these guys where causing any problems. They where not being loud, falling in the streets or anything like that. Both me and my wife where surprised and shocked to see it happen.

So if you are going to drike be able to walk a straight line.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

"No open containers in vehicles."

Actually, open container laws in cars only apply to the driver. It is legal to possess an open container if you are a passenger in a vehicle under Tennessee law. Local laws may be modified, but I've never found any Gatlinburg laws that disallow it.

From a legal site: "TCA § 55-10-416 specifically states that local municipalities may criminalize the possession of an open alcohol container by a passenger; however, the default rule in Tennessee is that only the driver of the motor vehicle may be cited for possessing an open container. This makes Tennessee one of only eleven states to not criminalize the possession of an open alcohol container by the passenger of a motor vehicle."

10. Re: Gatlinburg and Alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:21