We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another possible chairlift

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Topic
Another possible chairlift

themountainpress.com/view/…

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another possible chairlift

Sounds like a neat idea but I would hate to see the existing sky lift negatively affected since it is a long time staple of the area.

If you can only get to the restaurant by chair, business would not be good in rain, snow or very cold weather.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another possible chairlift

Good point, AbovePar and also those that are afraid of heights as well as some people with handicaps might not be able to ride the chair lift. I would love to ride the sky lift but having MS, sometimes my legs and brain don't work together and I'm afraid I'd probably take a face plant when getting off the moving chair so I've never gone up there. Wish I had done it a few years ago when things were better for me. The view would be great though while eating your meal. Wondering what the "big name" restaurant is. :)

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another possible chairlift

Sounds as if they are severely downplaying the environmental impact of this place. A small service road for food deliveries and emergency vehicles? Trucks that deliver food and drinks are not small. They need real, and paved roads. Firetrucks need real roads also. More roads on the mountainsides cause more watershed issues.

Planting foliage that won't grow taller than the lift sounds pretty lame also. What are they going to plant? Boxwoods?

I'm sure I'll have plenty of opposition, but there's already a ski lift, and nothing substantial is built up there. There is a fiscal reason for that. No way to drive up there.

Fix up the run down parts of Gatlinburg. Then maybe you can branch out.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another possible chairlift

I think this could be a nice addition if done properly and there wasn't another chair lift right bedside it, I have to agree with Dawg there are some other concerns the city should address first. If tourist don't have anywhere nice to stay they won't visit and they won't need a restaurant!

Edited: 10 February 2012, 19:24
Kentucky
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another possible chairlift

I wonder what the cost to ride it will be, I would guess significantly cheaper than the old one if they want to get people up to the restaurant. I wonder what effect this will have on the price of the old one, I guess time will tell.

Franklin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another possible chairlift

Not sure if it had anything to do with this, but this past weekend they had a $1 special to ride the old one. My wife and I rode it Friday night and didn't have to wait at all. Went back to ride it again Saturday and the line was super long.

TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another possible chairlift

Commissioners said no.

The developers still own the property next to the existing skylift and are building a parking garage (perhaps, the first plan approved was for parking and retail shops, then they changed it to a parking garage with plans for a chairlift, not sure what their next site plan will contain!).

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another possible chairlift

I realize things change over time but I hope the planning commission realizes the importance of each decision they make. It appears they got it right on this one. A place like Gatlinburg needs strict codes because their identity is what keeps people coming back. I know parking can be an issue at times, probably an understatement but I hope they don't over do it on the addition of parking garages. If so, at least consider putting them on some of the side roads instead of the main parkway.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
135 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another possible chairlift

No need for another chair lift on the parkway, if they put a restaurant at the top like they are taking about, only accessible by the lift it will be closed in 90 days.

Gatlinburg needs restoration not demolition. We will be going at the ed of the month. Will be interesting to see what has changed since last year.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another possible chairlift

Gatlinburg needs more than restoration. It needs a community plan for continuity in appearance. As it is it's a mess visually. They're getting better, but they should take a cue from Helen, GA, and require that any new buildings, as well as existing buildings undergoing renovation, comply with a consistent theme and appearance.

In addition, they need more public restrooms as well as refurbishment of the current ones they have (such as those at the Convention Center, which are disgusting.)