We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

We took a sidetrip from Knoxville on Sunday afternoon and traffic was at a gridlocked standstill. "It's always this way," a restaurant manager commented. The roads need to be widened, overpasses built, parking lots and new roads constructed before we'll return. We saw the trolley a couple of times and that's a nice attempt and all, but doesn't solve the problem. The parking deck is ok if forced marches are your thing. We saw two cops during the afternoon of which neither was directing traffic at two key intersections. We're certainly glad we didn't visit during the summer.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

And your from Los Angeles?!

Edited: 26 February 2012, 13:48
2. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2012, 21:59
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

The last thing the area needs is more roads. See, it can't really expand with roads or bridges or parking lots.because it is surrounded by a national park; Really the reason it exists as anything more than any of the thousands of other anonymous appalachian towns. Sure now most people visit to buy airbrushed tshirts, as seen on tv products, and that sorely needed sepia photo of them in pioneer-like costume, but the resource should try to be protected or it will all become a carnival of needless consumerism instead of the largest undisturbed wild area east of the Mississippi.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

The traffic should clue you in to what all of us already know....its a great place to be at anytime of the year and you deal with it.....if it wasn't busy, it wouldn't be popular.....right?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

One less car sounds good to me.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

We usually go every February, never on a weekend and we've never had traffic problems. The only time it was slowed down was this past trip (which was actually in January) because of some construction.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

We always use the bypass, Dudley Creek Road, Baskin Creek Bypass and River Road (depending on where we are going) to avoid the worst of the traffic. We were last there the end of October (REALLY PEAK SEASON) and had to sit in little to no traffic.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

I rarely find myself caught in the traffic in town. We have a few destinations within the town..make as direct of a line as possible to parking, and do the rest on foot. Never thought of it as a "forced march". As for new roads and overpasses, I have to wonder if parts of California would be suffering the ever-present threat of mud slides if they can considered the watershed issues before constructing buildings and highways all over the terrain.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

I would think you, if anyone, would be used to a wait...I talk to several folks every week that live in the LA area...seems a 2 hour drive to go 15 miles to work is a norm for you folks out there.....so a little waiting in the mountains sure would seem a "walk in the park" so to say.......(sorry).

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Horrible traffic congestion- even in winter.We won't be back

Sorry you had such a horrible time in Gatlinburg. Naturally if you were there on a weekend, especially if it was a holiday weekend , it is going to be more crowded than during the week......most tourist places are. . Not sure why the restaurant manager said "it's always this way" because it's not. I've been there 7 times and never had any issues. With three parking garages in town , several good sized outside parking lots within a block or two from the parkway and a couple of park and ride trolley lots, most people don't have issues with parking. Kinda hard to widen the streets without tearing down all the downtown buildings along the parkway and there are three lanes in each direction through Pigeon Forge. As others have said, there are several by pass roads around town for a quicker and easier access into town. The roads through the National Park weren't meant to be interstates so they are fine the way they are IMO. Nice, peaceful roads to enjoy the beauty of the mountains. I've been to L.A. and any local traffic jams around the Smoky Mountains can't even compare to the crazy traffic out there.