We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Hi everyone! We are coming from Wisconsin and now that we've rented a cabin and put A LOT of money down, im reading bad things about the rental company and how the roads can be treacherous. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with Traffic Road 6 or Traffic Light 6, something like that? We are staying at A Place to Remember in August and I'm wondering if this road is safe or even paved. Any help would be great, thanks a lot.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Traffic Light 6 in PF is Pine Mountain Road, I believe. It is a narrow, winding and in some places steep road, like many that you will find in the area especially if you are staying in a cabin with the awesome view like you will have from a Place to Remember. Treacherous sounds a bit much, but if you are not used to driving in the mountains one can understand how some might call any narrow 2 lane road treacherous. If you stay at or slightly below the speed limit and make the first trip to the cabin in daylight hours, you will get a feel for the road and should be fine.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Don't be scared just make the most of this great opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful places on earth. No cabin, road or rental co. is perfect but again just make the most of it. We have used a rental co. that routinely gets terrible reviews on here but we had a great experience. My only complaint was the cabin was a little dusty but I didn't let it ruin my trip. If it were winter I would be worried about the roads but you shouldn't have any problem in August, just drive it slowly. Have fun!

Salem, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

TY for the reply. According to a lot of the reviews, people are saying they almost lost their lives, so I guess to me that is treacherous. This was in the winter however. Now my mom is saying that she is scared, i dont know what she thought the mountains were, but whatever! I guess I'm loosing some money on a cancellation. UGH! thanks again

Salem, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Here is the link to our cabin, it says wide paved roads to it, but I've read they lie about the conditions, tkmull, was the rental company aardvark?

smoky-mountain-cabin-rentals.com/pigeonforge…

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Pine mountain road is paved for sure, and honestly not that aggressive compared to many roads and even driveways I've been on in the area. I'm not familiar with your cabin as I lived there and didn't make it a habit of going to random cabins, so it might be on a steeper or side road, but I wouldn't be too concerned. You can see the road as it intersects with the parkway on google maps street view if you want a better idea of what it looks like. Unfortunately they didn't bother going up all the side roads so it's only the intersection.

Having lived in Sevier county and the great lakes region I know if you can drive in our winters, there is nothing you can't handle driving in in east TN summers.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

No it wasn't aardvart. Maybe they would tranfer your deposit to another cabin if your mom is that concerned.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

Don't cancel. go I'm sure it won't be bad, people rent these cabins all the time and I'm sure if it were that bad they wouldn't rent it anymore. go and enjoy your trip. we always rent cabins and have not had any problem getting to them. just go in the daytime for the first trip so you can see the road. i'm sure you will have a great time.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

I wouldn't cancel your trip either. I found your cabin (or am 99% sure it's your cabin) on Google Street View......unfortunately it won't show an exact address in the address bar or I would give it to you to put in. I guess the streets are pretty new around there or something and not in the system yet, but if you take Pine Mountain Road off the Parkway in PF and then turn right on Little Cove Rd and go to the next left, that would take you to the area where your cabin is. I found the street name on Mapquest but it's not on Google maps for some reason. It's Cloud View Rd. Anyway if you check on Google street view maps, you can see exactly what the road looks like and it IS wide, paved and curbed and I think it would ease your mind a little. Looks like there is a beautiful view from that cabin. I get scared on narrow, steep roads too so I understand your concern but this doesn't look that bad to me. I never found the reviews that you read although I know this company does get bad reviews but that doesn't mean you are going to have issues. If the roads do scare your mom, just do what I do when my mom (who is REALLY a big chicken on steep roads) is with me.........tell her to close her eyes and you'll let her know when you've reached your destination! LOL Seriously though, hope you keep your reservations and have a wonderful time.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

just go

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rented Cabin, now scared to death?

steph,

I live close to where your I think your cabin is. I THINK it might be in the Thunder Mountain area. If it is, that's a road probably 3 or 4 car widths wide, with a gentle slope. It's a really nice area up there, very quiet, pretty views. Don't cancel. I pull a trailer up there all the time with no problems. It's one of the better places to stay here actually. No problems getting around ever.