We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATV riding

Grand Isle...
1 post
Save Topic
ATV riding

going to Gatlinbury for a week, would love to bring along our ATV. Is there open riding in state parks, trails, etc.

Southaven...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATV riding

Milo Y, ATV's are not allowed in the national park. Im not sure where you could ride your own at.

However we have used Bluff Mountain before and love riding on their trails.http://bluffmountainadventures.com/

I would call and ask if they offer any kind of bring your own ATV package. I just don't know where you would ride yours at,unless a property owner with alot of acres let you use their land to ride on.

I could be wrong about this but a phone call should clear things up for you.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 14:59
Save Reply
2. Re: ATV riding

Hi

I just came back from galtinburg and it was very nice trip, anyway yes you can bring your ATV and there is area inside the great smokey mountains park that you can drive it in , ask the visitors centers inside the park for the location

Southaven...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATV riding

I think Ali_Tennessee must be mistaken(sorry,I could be wrong). I have never seen or ever heard of ATV's(4-wheelers,Rhino's,snowmobile's etc.) being allowed in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

I would CALL the park 1st before you bring your ATV with you to be on the safe side.

Save Reply
4. Re: ATV riding

There is ATV rental, so I don't see reason for not letting folks use there own ATV ! Check out this link:

www.mypigeonforgeresort.com/what_to_do.html

And this one :

…usatoday.com/smoky-mountains-5057.html

Save Reply
5. Re: ATV riding

There is ATV rental, so I don't see reason for not letting folks use there own ATV ! Check out this link:

www.mypigeonforgeresort.com/what_to_do.html

And this one :

…usatoday.com/smoky-mountains-5057.html

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATV riding

Hey Milo, there are no ATV trails in the GSMNP. The closest thing to riding in the park would be bluff mountain, just to the west of Pigeon Forge. That area would be considered "the Smoky Mountains", and you will be able to see the GSMNP from there, you just won't be in the park. If you are looking for a challenging ATV open riding trail system in the area, you might be interested in windrock http://www.windrockatv.com/ which is about 1 - 1/2 hours away from PF.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATV riding

To my knowledge there are no ATV or snow mobile trails within the physical bounderies of the G.S.M.N.P. I know motor scooters and motorcycles are allowed on all auto-tours & open roads (441) inside the park.

Ray

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATV riding

I am not sure if you can ride your own ATV in the park but we just got back from a great vacation and rode ATVs with a great new company, Smoky Mountain ATV. It is a small mom and pop shop, which is so much better to deal with rather than Bluff Mountain. The owners really care about making sure you have a great ride. We took a 3 hour trip for a fraction of what it would cost at Bluff Mountain. We rode brand new 2012 Polaris RZRs which has 4 seats and could accommodate our entire family for one price. They had a lead vehicle to show us where to go and my husband drove our RZR. It was spectacular! Wonderful views, wildlife, and actually got to go faster than 10 miles per hour. This may be a cheaper/better way to get your ATV riding fix without the hassle of bringing down your ATVs!

new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATV riding

Just a general comment on the ATV topic (from my experience and POV) -

ATVing is in general a dangerous and injury prone activity for beginners and younger kids / teens. Nearly every ATV trip i have been on has included somebody getting hurt, someones equipment getting damaged or someone / something having a close call - hence the higher prices, insurance liabilities etc due to the overall higher cost of maintenance for these outift owners.

Of course your experience will largely depend on the type of trail (Mountain vs Flat Ground), speed travelled, experience of drivers / guides etc but ATV's are broadly motorbikes on wheels and good ATVs have a lot of power. On mountain terrain, one needs to be know how to downshift, apply consistent power/revs, tap brake and slidebrake etc. They flip over and skid easily and i certainly would not let any kids/teens near one without close adult supervision.

Dont get me wrong - ATVing is a ton of fun on a great trail with an experienced guide and i go every chance i get - but ive just seen too many accidents / injuries to not be wary for the inexperienced. Once bitten, twice shy and all that. :)

Canton, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: ATV riding

Where was this located? Do you have a number for them, can't seem to find on the internet.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 03:23