We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoky Mountain Railroad

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Smoky Mountain Railroad

Has anyone done this? I am thinking of doing this while on my trip next month, but really do not want to pay $49..lol. I am a member of GSMA and know that they offer a $3.50 discount. But does anyone know if there are any better deals out there for this? Thanks

Also, for those of you that have done this, what did you think of it? The video of it looks like a wonderful day trip to make!!

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

I have always wanted to do this also but I didn't know how far it is from Pigeon Forge or if it was really fun. I hope we get some feed back on this post.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

Hager...Bryson City is about 1-1/2 hours from Gatlinburg, and only about 15 minutes from Cherokee. So not far for a day trip. I've had this on my 'to do' list for a couple of years and really think I am going to do this while on my next trip...just hoping for a better deal. =-) I'm going April 19th-29th...so will let you know how it was after my trip if I do indeed ride the Railroad tour. It looks beautiful!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

Also, does anyone know the difference in routes between the 2 schedules that are listed on the link below? I know one make a pit stop in Dillsboro, and the other makes a pitstop at the NOC Center.....But does one give you a better view of scenery over the other? Thanks

gsmr.com/ride-us/…2012-train-schedule

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

And hager...I take it back...it is about 2 hours from Gatlinburg to Bryson City

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

We did the trip from Dillsboro to Bryson City several years ago. It was wonderful! The scenery was so nice, part of the scenery is the wreck of the prison bus & the train that was in The Fugitive.

The trip is well worth the money. Dillsboro has a great restaurant at the Dillsboro Inn, good fried chicken, at least it did when I was there.

I don't know about the NOC route, but the Dillsboro route had good scenery. BTW, we rode in the open cars, loved it!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

It's a little closer to go from Dillsboro. It's before you get to Franklin, NC. About 30 miles from Cherokee on 441.

We used to have a place in Franklin on the side of a mountain.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

thanks luvwicket! I am also hoping the NOC one allows for great views, as I liked in the video when it showed the NOC center and being able to watch the people attempt the rapids from the NOC school....I am undecided as to which to do, so hopefully I can hear about the NOC one as well. I too think I will do the open car, strictly to get the best views...just gotta hope it's not a rainy or cold day. Thanks again!! =-)

Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

My husband and I went on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad trip from Bryson City to Fontana Dam and NOC about 5 years ago. We went in the fall and bought the open car ticket which was less expensive and offered the best views. There was a hour layover at the NOC. I think I prefer taking the train from Bryson City because it takes you to Fontana Dam and the NOC. Enjoyed the trip very much. Great opportunity to see Fontana Dam . We had been to Fontana Dam before did you get to see more of the lake on the train ride. The train trustle goes passes over the lake.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

Thanks alot carolinagirl! I do think I will stick with the train that takes the NOC route, as I have always wanted to see Fontana Lake, and after just now watching the entire video from their website and seeing that the train that goes to Dillsboro goes through the Cowee Tunnel...I've been cave dwelling in Mammouth Caves, Kentucky before and really have no desire to be inside such a narrow tunnel system again. I found out just how clausterphobic I am...lol. I think I will much rather prefer the Brsyon to NOC route! =-)

Richmond, Indiana
Level Contributor
190 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoky Mountain Railroad

We took the same trip luvwicket took in 2002. We're going to take it again in May. This is an awesome train ride. Lots of scenery and a nice stop over to get a snack. Definitely worth a do over.