We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you like in a rental?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
465 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What do you like in a rental?

As a future chalet owner, I am really interested in providing all the little "extras" I can in a unit to make

every person's/family's vacation as nice

as possible. Can you all give me suggestions as to items/amenities/etc. that make a

difference in your stay? No detail is too

small! Thank you for any suggestions.

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you like in a rental?

I try to stay in a true log cabin over a chalet. Inside I want a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, and enough pots and pans in the kitchen. I stayed in one that said they had a stocked kitchen and I had to go buy a pot at walmart to make my soup in. I also think alot of people worry more about cleanliness than ANYTHING!!!!! I can stay anywhere, fancy or not, as long as it is clean!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you like in a rental?

-Internet access would be nice

-Satelite or Cable TV

-Quality (Soft) bath towels

-Bathroom Toiletries like the hotels give, but please don't get cheap on the soap

-Robes if you have a hot tub

-Cork screw

-Plenty of cookware

-Trashbags, paper towels, dishwasher det.

-Washing powder if it has a W/D

-Coffe maker and filters

-A TV in the bedrooms/clock radio

-DVD player

-A PS2 and games for kids, can be bought cheap on eBay

-Bedside jacuzzi and fireplace

-Pool table and dart board

-Quality furniture and bedding

-Nice bed linens

-Most Importantly...A Clean Place!!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Cleanliness is the most important thing to me and my family. As far as amenities, a completely stocked kitchen with real coffee mugs, (not the little tiny "tea set" ones!!) and enough dishes and cookware. Hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire needs a mug!!Comfortable furniture, large, fluffy towels, are nice touches. I also like reading material, and the journals that are in some of the cabins are always so interesting!! I love reading what others liked or disliked about the cabin/area we are in.

We've also been impresssed with little things, like night lights(we are in an unfamiliar house, night lights are good for younger and older folks when you wake during the night!)

Having brochures or websites with accurate, clear pictures is great. Being helpful and offering suggestions over the phone are also important to me.

by the way, will your rental be in the Smokies??? Let us all know!! Good luck with everything.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you like in a rental?

We also like:

hot tub

pool table

well stocked kitchen

country/park decor

And these aren't really extras, but we like chalets or cabins that have:

Bedroom suites with a king size mattress, tv and private bathroom

open floor plans- kitchen, eating area and living room

main floor bedroom and bathroom

Southeast Missouri
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Essentials for us have been:

Cleanliness everywhere!

Hot tub on deck

Washer and Dryer (we travel by motorcycle and have to pack light, wash clothes frequently)

Comfortable bed - plenty of pillows and extra cover for cool nights

Plenty of hot water and good water pressure (had an issue with one cabin that didn't have enough hot water to fill their jacuzzi tub)

Dishwasher

Grill - charcoal provided is also a nice touch!

Fireplace with gas logs is nice, so we don't have to worry about buying wood and starting a fire

Location - we don't like cabins that are right on top of each other - a little privacy is nice

Contact info. for owners that is 24/7 (we needed that when we discovered we had no water in the middle of the night at one cabin)

No hidden fees - be upfront about everything we'll be charged for when you're doing the rental - companies may get us the first time, but if we feel like we've been deceived, we won't be repeat customers

Extra touches that are nice - reading material such as magazines or newspapers, info. about the area that is current, such as events happening that month, coupons for the area, recommendations for places to visit, eat at, shop in the area, also info. for medical issues, such as walk-in clinics, pharmacies, nearest hospital - the insiders' guide to visiting the area

That's all I can think of - although I imagine you'll have a hard time pleasing everyone!

Good luck!

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Well,Santa's list couldn't be any longer!!

Most importantly,cleanliness(it's next to Godliness you know).

Area info/coupons would be nice.

Have a polite,knowledgable staff. Someone should be available for emergencies such as broken A/C,etc.

One could go overboard with "creature comforts".Besides, this is a vacation chalet,not home.

Do the basics and do them well.You will create a respectful reputation in no time!

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Hey All:

Very interesting and informative 'post'. This is good stuff!

I feel pretty good after reading your 'posts', although, I have taken both properties off the rental market since December (we relocated to TN and are living in them), but will be back on very soon.

I have traveled on business/pleasure all of my working life and I demand certain things, which I also want in a rental property. My big thing is CLEAN (above average!) Most cabins get a 'spring clean' which includes window washing, wipe down etc...I do this every month and windows every stay. Fully equiped kitchens (no plastic..real matching glasses and coffee cups and a real, first-class coffee maker!) Quality bedding (better than most have at home and only KING BEDS.) TV's on cable in every room, clean Hot tub on deck, slate, regulation pool tables (not some $250 deal at Sear's) Stereo system up and down, gas fireplaces, grill (charcoal not furnish) and most important, that most miss...CITY water and CITY sewer...no surprises! Also, one you missed..city trash service, so you don't have to climb over your trash all week.

I also provide a 'gift basket' for every renter and welcoming package which includes certificates, restaurant/places to go opinions and my guest comment book.

I feel pretty good....Thanks!

GBG

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Now,you've covered the best ideas!I don't think the cabin/chalet should be so homey that you are encouraged to continue your "home routine"Kids watch too much tv and play way too many video games.Have we forgotten what we did before Playstation and DVD's?

Vacations are a valuable teaching time for young minds.Leave their pacifiers (Video games and the old "Boobb Tube") at home.Mold those young minds, don't turn them into mush.

I'm all for pool tables,board games and foosball.It increases family time together.That's what family vacation is about!

Certainly, good, comfortable bedding is a must.Quality pillows are my pet peeve!

GBG,I would like to stay at an est. you run.Sounds great.

PW

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you like in a rental?

Thanks Pauliewalnuts.

I'm not into the stand alone video games (old Pac-Man etc) I feel most are here to enjoy the area and that entertainment is available. I provide 'bonding' activities, ie: pool table, ping-pong, board games, cards, DVD's (no 'R' ratings) and a comfortable first class (no worries) accomodations. City water and sewer is a big deal.....no surprises and their are many.

I don't have a pool, but guest can use the pool at the Gatlinburg Civic Center which is outstanding for $2.00. Few know about this. There is the same option in Pigion Forge and a 'first-class' facility.

GBG

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you like in a rental?

GBG

You've got a good head on your shoulders!I hope you can share your knowledge with others in your business."Do something right and do it well".You got it going on!