We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - April 1 - 5

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - April 1 - 5

Hubs and I along with my cousin and her boyfriend headed to the Smokey Mountains on Sunday. We have about a 5 hour drive and arrived in town about 4. We went directly to check in at the Red Roof Inn (Aquarium) in Gatlinburg. The hotel was a little more dated than I imagined but it was nice and nestled into the mountainside. We were starving so we headed down to Pigeon Forge to The Old Mill. My cousin was craving corn chowder and we had not eaten since 9 that morning. I cannot say enough good things about The Old Mill. I had the fried chicken (three huge chicken breasts) and Hubs had the ribs. The amount of food you get for the money is outrageous - salad, corn fritters, corn chowder, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Oh..and dessert! Yum!

Monday was Dollywood day so we got up early and headed to the Smokey Mountain Pancake House in Pigeon Forge. It was pretty good. I was not in the mood for pancakes so I got a bacon omelet. I'm not a huge breakfast fan but it was pretty good. We headed over to Patriot Park and took the trolley to Dollywood. We had a great day and my cousin got to ride Wild Eagle (I happily sat and waited on her). I was excited to be there during the Festival of Nations but was sad we didn't get to see any of the regular shows. We left Dollywood about 6. After a rest and showers, we headed to Bennett's Barbeque in Gatlinburg then walked the strip for a while. Bennett's pulled pork is sooo good! I wish their salad bar was included and I didn't have to pay extra for it but oh well. There are 10% off coupons in tons of tourist books.

Tuesday we had breakfast at the Shoney's next door to Dixie Stampede since we had to stop at DS and pick up our tickets for that night. Then we headed to Cades Cove. It was a nice pretty drive (that felt like it took forever). On the way back, we got caught up in traffic that turned out to be a bear sighting. The boys jumped out and got several pictures. Their main goal of the trip was then fulfilled. :-) It started raining on the way back and it took us over 2 hours to get out of the park and down River road back to our hotel. Crazy. We made a mad dash to get ready and we headed to Dixie Stampede. It was a lot of fun (as always).

Wednesday we didn't really have any real plans. We began the day at the Pancake Pantry. I have to say that even though it is an icon, I was not overly impressed. We then spent the day shopping and browsing. We had lunch at Best Italian in Gatlinburg. Great pizza! We visited the free Moonshine tastings and the boys shared fried oreos. We walked all the way back to the hotel and ended up taking naps (we were exhausted). We headed out for dinner about 8 and went to JT Hannahs. It was good except they were out of a lot of stuff...including their pretzels (they are amazing).

We headed home early on Thursday. We had a blast but were exhausted. Looking forward to our next trip!!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - April 1 - 5

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a great time, except for the traffic on your way out of the Cove. I agree with you in regards to Pancake Pantry, I have been there twice and have not been impressed in the least bit. It is an icon and a 'must do' for many people though. I just know that I would not wait in line again to eat there, when I can go down the road a bit and get better service and not feel crammed in. Just my thoughts on that ;-)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I have 13 days left until I am there and can't wait. =-)

Edited: 07 April 2012, 23:10
Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - April 1 - 5

Nice report......thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a really nice time. I'll be down there three weeks from tomorrow! Yay!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - April 1 - 5

Great report!!! Thank you for sharing!

4. Re: Trip Report - April 1 - 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 10:23