We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

I need advice from locals or anyone who is familiar with the azaleas blooming on Gregory Bald.

We missed the wildflowers in Townsend by 2 weeks this year due to the mild weather and early spring. We hiked on April 20 which by all accounts was the average blooming week for wildflowers. We saw some flowers but we were told they peaked 2 weeks earlier.

I want to make reservations for Gregory Bald hike but am wondering if I should set the date for June 1 instead of the 3rd week of June. The 2nd or 3rd week is usually peak booming time.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

I've got a trip planned on the 16th, but I'm nervous about it. The saving grace is that there's so much up there that a week either side of "peak" is still pretty good. The first of June sounds too early, but this year who knows? I hiked the Smokies on April 14th and we saw bunches of wildflowers at lower and upper elevations, so I'm not so sure that things are a full two weeks early.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

Thx smokies hiker

I found 2 hiking club websites that are scheduled to be there June 16 but one of them may change it to June 1 as they are communicating with Park Rangers. I think they are also concerned about the 2 week early blooms this year.

I just set my reservations for both weekends and will change as more info comes out from rangers. Last email was the end of April.

Are your reservations set in stone?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

We saw azaleas blooming at the lower altitudes last week. I don't imagine it will be long before the balds are in full bloom.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

hiker2011, mine may be the other club trip you found. It's been on the schedule since November, and I'm not going to change it. Picking the 16th was actually an adjustment for me; I used to think around the 21-24th was your best bet.

We'll just see whatever there is to see. I hope/expect to have some people with me who have never seen it, so especially for their sakes I hope there are enough blossoms to make it worthwhile.

As for myself, I may make it up there the 9th just to check it out. But I bet you a nickel that we won't be disappointed on the 16th.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

Well the site I am watching is the Atlanta hiking club. The 16th is more workable for me so maybe we will luck out after all.

Thx for the responses everyone!

Edited: 06 May 2012, 15:06
Cleveland, ga
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

any word on the timing of the bloom this year?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
619 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

Good luck to all of you on hitting the peak. My husband and I timed it perfectly a few years back and it was one of our most memorable hikes. When we created the top of Gregory Bald the sight of all the azaleas was jaw-dropping. Even though there were so many people there, you don't even notice the crowd since you're spending so much time enjoying all the azaleas!

8. Re: Azaleas Blooming week - Gregory Bald hike... Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:18