We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do, what to do......

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
what to do, what to do......

I am having serious issues making a decision about where to stay when we come to the area. I am so indecisive about this, change my mind about 10 times a day. But I really need to go ahead and make reservations soon, so I need input-- what would you do??

We are coming to GB July 30, 31, and August 1st. (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) It will be an adults only trip to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. I am excited beyond words!! But my big dilemma is where should we stay?? Usually we go for a cabin in the mountains, and that is what my husband voted for this time. But, my 34th birthday is in August, and my husband said as a bday gift to me, he would make a concession and we could stay at a hotel in GB, either on the strip or on River road. This is major for him, he has an aversion to the traffic and parking in GB....... Me, on the other hand, I have a sort of obsession with GB, but can never talk him into actually staying there. So there you see my big dilemma.

This is awful......I would love to have the privacy of a cabin in the woods with our own private hot tub. Those are the 2 big reasons we rent cabins. but I have the chance to actually stay in GB, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. We could walk the strip every day, a couple times a day if I took the notion to. LOL

Which one would you choose? Don't hold back, I need some help figuring out what to do!!

Karen

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
426 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do, what to do......

I am in your same boat. When walking the town with my fiance on our previous visits, we always thought it would be so nice to stay downtown or atleast give it a try. The people watching is the best. But at the sametime, the quiet and downtime may not be found in town.

For 3 days though in the middle of summer, how often will you be at the hotel anyways. I think if a person staying for a week, that may be too long to stay downtown, but 3 days I think it would be doable and entertaining.

For 3 days, I would do it. Just to get up and go and leave the car parked. No fighting with traffic, no paying an arm and a leg for parking, etc. The way it sounds, you like the town atmosphere, so this would be perfect. Go for it.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do, what to do......

I know!!! These are all the things I keep saying, but I am just undecided if the privacy and our own private hot tub might out-weigh the novelty of staying in town.....ughhh, I am so indecisive!! lol

Karen

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do, what to do......

I agree with Ryan. For the shorter of the 2 trips, I would opt for staying in town at a hotel...then for the longer trip stay in a cabin then, as I think you would enjoy the cabin ammenities for so on the longer trip.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do, what to do......

We use to stay on the strip years ago and enjoyed it but realized we did not get the rest or chill down time we needed.

Once we rented a cabin 10 miles from Gatlinburg, there was no turning back. We love to stay in a place that is comfortable, alway from the hoards of people, secluded and where we can eat some meals in the cabin. We always stay away from Gatlinburg now as it is has the peace and quiet we need. Also hot tub is very romantic.

Boaz, Alabama
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do, what to do......

Riverhouse Motorlodge last room on the bottom floor, king jacuzzi room. If it isn't already booked, you will feel like you are in a secluded cabin. Sign just outside the door to your room reads "please don't feed the bears" seriously,

Lexington
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do, what to do......

You could stay at a cabin just a block or two from the main strip that offers privacy and a hot tub. I have never stayed with them but Parkside Cabin Rentals offer a few of these. I was told that they are just minutes (walking) from the parkway.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do, what to do......

Have you considered a condo in downtown Gatlinburg?You would have lots of choices with hot tubs , pools and not having to worry about parking.Look on Gatlinburg.com for choices and lots of different pictures.We looked at Baskins Creek condos before and they were nice and up to date. Good luck and have a great time.

Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do, what to do......

I agree with GatlinburgExpert.....find a cabin within walking distance to the strip and enjoy the best of both worlds! Cabins of Gatlinburg has a few

www.cabinsofgatlinburg.com

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do, what to do......

Well, as much as I hate to say it, we might be staying in a cabin. (Even as I write this I am thinking that I should call around and check rates one last time, just in case something has changed......) Miss Indecisive, that's me.....

But we found a really great deal on a cabin, so I hate to pass it up....... Plus I think my own private hot tub is calling my name. LOL

Karen

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do, what to do......

But I still might go ahead and check hotel rates again this afternoon, ask if there are any special discounts then.

Karen